cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benji-7
Frequent Visitor

Permission with access teams and related tables

Hallo community, I need a bit help with table permissions. I have created three main tables that I am using in a canvas app to plan trips.

The Tables are related to each other like this:

- General Trip Details table

-> Trip Location table (n:1)

-> Trip Budget Items table (n:1)

For every new row in the "General Trip Details" table, I create two access teams to define the permissions for the users. One team has "read", the other has "write", "delete", "append" and "append to" rights.

The challenge now is, that I don't want the user to have full access on the "General Trip Details" table, but are able to create, delete, append rows in the Location and Budget Item table that are related to the row in General Trip Details table.

So let's say I create two trips called "Business trip to Munich" and "Factory visit Berlin" and want "John" to create the budget and different meeting locations for the trip to Munich and "Laura" to organize the Berlin visit. I don't want Laura to be able to have access to the Munich items and the same for John on the Berlin items. Also, Laura and John should not change or delete the General trip details. They should be able to create, change and delete items for their assigned trip.

Is that possible to accomplish? Does anyone can help with this?

I would appreciate any help.

2 REPLIES 2
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @benji-7 ,

Your access teams should be setup on the child tables vs. the parent table.  This will provide you the ability to restrict access to the appropriate view / edit capabilities for each of the child tables.  It sounds like you are adding the Access Teams to the parent table currently?

Each access team assignment is record by record so in this situation if you have the access teams at the child tables you can decide which access team membership is assigned on the child tables for John and Laura record by record.

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew
benji-7
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @dpoggemann for your answer. Yes, I add the permission on the parent table row. I think I am a step further now. I changed the security role so that the users have append rights on the budget and locations table. I then give them append to rights on the parent row with an access team. So far it seems that it is working all right.

Any thoughts on that? Or is there something I missed?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (3,550)