cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmp974
Frequent Visitor

Populate CDS custom entity once a day with external app database

Hello,

I have one external app (SQL based) and one power apps app (CDS based).

Basicaly, I would like to synch once a day some rows based on certain criteria from my external app to the CDS Custom Entity.

The reason is to avoid to input twice the same "kind" of information in the Power Apps application for given criteria and so users can also populate the CDS Entity throught the application from power apps on other circumstances.

So my question is simple, is there a way somehow to achieve this ?

Kind regards,

Mohammad PATEL

3 REPLIES 3
Satish-Reddy
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Have you considered using data flows? You can periodically load the data from a variety of sources and import it into CDS. You can also perform data transformation during the process. 

For more info, visit the below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/create-and-use-dataflows

For your scenario, the data source would be SQL DB.  Please mark it as answer if my post helps.

Thanks
Satish Reddy
https://pascalcase.com

Hi @mmp974 

The suggestion from @Satish-Reddy is good but there are limitations of scheduled dataflows when it comes to Look-up fields.  If the entity you are populating with a dataflow is used as a Look-up on a related entity then the dataflow will clear the Look-up field on each refresh since it completely deletes the data and adds in back in again - breaking the Lookup.

Another option, which is more work but you have more control is to use Power Automate.  Take a look at this article to get you started.  It's about using Power Automate to integrate data from a CSV to Dynamics 365 but the principles are the same and Dynamics 365 uses the CDS connector for Power Automate.

https://dynamicscitizendeveloper.com/2019/06/06/microsoft-flow-csv-integration-with-dynamics-365/

Satish-Reddy
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@HSheild  Good to know about the limitation. Thank you.

@mmp974 You can try @HSheild  solution. 

If you want a custom solution, I have written XrmTooling console application that loads the data from CSV and creates the records in CDS. I can share the source code with you. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,930)