cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert_vbc
Regular Visitor

Problem populating BU into a view joining 2 tables

Is there a limitation in Dataverse stopping you from bringing a business unit into a view that is built on an organizational level table?

I've connected the SQL Server management tool to the environment and wrote the query to join these 2 tables, and it works fine, but Dataverse does not allow you to get into the backend (apart from read) and do store procs, etc.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @Robert_vbc,

Yes you can bring a BU into a view if there's a field/column mapping to a User/Team such as Created By. 
As for your 2nd question, correct we don't have access to the database or rights to create custom DB objects. However if you can generate a SQL query for what you want you can probably formulate the same with FetchXML or OData

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Hi Eric,

I've had a chance to dig deeper, in the preview of the view when I'm creating it, it does not show the BU related via the createdby column.

But if I use that view somewhere else in a form, then the BU column is looked up correctly via the createdby relationship.

Thanks for your help, and the pointer to fetchXML.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
rampprakash
Super User
Super User

Hello @Robert_vbc,

As per my knowledge, and OOB behaviour it's not possible to show the same in the view.

Let's wait for others comments too..

Please mark as Answer if it is helpful and provide Kudos

Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnGNN3hdlKBOr6PXotskNLA
Blog : https://microsoftcrmtechie.blogspot.com

EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @Robert_vbc,

Yes you can bring a BU into a view if there's a field/column mapping to a User/Team such as Created By. 
As for your 2nd question, correct we don't have access to the database or rights to create custom DB objects. However if you can generate a SQL query for what you want you can probably formulate the same with FetchXML or OData

Hope this helps!

Robert_vbc
Regular Visitor

Hi @EricRegnier 

I created a test table that has CreatedBy column and put in a couple of rows in then created a view that included the name, the createdby and the BU from user via createdby. But nothing shows up in the BU column

I've attached a picture that shows what I see. I've tried this with 2 test tables one is of type UserOwned the other OrgOwned both show the same behavior

I'm sure I'm missing something that is probably obvious to more experienced people.

I had a thought that this might be due to privileges, but I'm building the view as the system administrator, so I don't think that is the issue

Hi @Robert_vbc, apologies for late reply. That's really strange. If you confirm the current logged-in user has System Administrator role then it wouldn't be privileges. Is this screenshot from make.powerapps.com? If so, publish all then trying accessing that view from a model-driven app. If you still have the issue, can you share the view configuration screenshot? Is there a custom Business Unit field/column or multiple BUs fields on the User table? 

Hope this helps!

Hi @EricRegnier sorry for the late reply, The screenshot was from make.powerapps.com.

I go some help from MS support.

There was no relationship between the user table and the business unit table in our system.  At first, glance that seems crazy and maybe something that one of the developers did.  That said maybe it's by design that allows for more configuration around the security and use of teams.

We added the relationship and the BU guide came down onto the view within the MDA.

Hi @Robert_vbc, apologies for late reply. What do you mean that there's no relationship from user to BU? That's impossible! That vaniall out-of-the-box and we can changed that. Are you using Dataverse for Teams (DV4T)? Cheers

Hi Eric,

I've had a chance to dig deeper, in the preview of the view when I'm creating it, it does not show the BU related via the createdby column.

But if I use that view somewhere else in a form, then the BU column is looked up correctly via the createdby relationship.

Thanks for your help, and the pointer to fetchXML.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (3,177)