cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerekHurley
Helper I
Helper I

Protect solutions in Dataverse for Teams

If I deploy a managed solution into Dataverse for Teams it shows up under the installed apps, is there a way that someone could export the solution out from there to access our IP or use elsewhere?

Also along the same lines if we send (by email or other means) a managed solution zip file to a client is there a way to protect it so only that client can deploy it and they couldn't send it on for others to use?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DerekHurley ,

Could you please share more details about your scenario? Would you like to let users in Dataverse for Teams environment export a managed solution?

Please refer to below doc:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/alm/solution-concepts-alm#managed-and-unmanaged-solu...

Notice that: You can't export a managed solution.

So, for your first question, others would not be able to export that managed solution from Dataverse for Teams environment.

For your second question, if you send a managed solution zip to others via Email or other ways, the recipient would be able to forward the zip file to others and import in any other environment. The way I can think of to protect that zip file is:

1\ Compress that solution zip file again with encryption.

2\ When the recipient wants to import the solution, you can decompress the file remotely and permanently delete the zip file after import.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DerekHurley ,

Could you please share more details about your scenario? Would you like to let users in Dataverse for Teams environment export a managed solution?

Please refer to below doc:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/alm/solution-concepts-alm#managed-and-unmanaged-solu...

Notice that: You can't export a managed solution.

So, for your first question, others would not be able to export that managed solution from Dataverse for Teams environment.

For your second question, if you send a managed solution zip to others via Email or other ways, the recipient would be able to forward the zip file to others and import in any other environment. The way I can think of to protect that zip file is:

1\ Compress that solution zip file again with encryption.

2\ When the recipient wants to import the solution, you can decompress the file remotely and permanently delete the zip file after import.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

Thanks @v-jefferni,

What software can I use to encrypt the zip file?

Also do you know is it possible to submit a Dataverse for Teams app and have it available similar to how the sample apps and new bulletin and milestones apps are?

Thanks for your help

Hi @DerekHurley ,

WinRAR is supposed be OK.

There is a section in the community forum, called Community App Samples:

Community App Samples - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Our partners have submitted quite a few sample apps, attached their app packages.

Best regards,

@v-jefferni 

I will try out WinRAR.

That link looks like it has a few interesting solutions thanks. But I guess what I am really trying to ask is will there eventually be an app marketplace in Teams? Like how currently in Teams I can find Dataverse for Teams apps from Microsoft (such as Bulletins, Milestones, Issue Reporting, etc.) and install them, will it be possible for partners to publish apps in this same way in the future? Idealy with the ability to monetise.

Cheers

EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @DerekHurley,

1. To answer your specific questions, no you can't export a managed solution. You can only export an unmanaged solution. 
  2. No you can't prevent customers for forwarding an managed solution (which is just a zip file). Just like you can't prevent them from forwarded any other document you sent them.
    DDLs are strongly-named (signed) so they won't be able to decompile the assemblies, but they would be able to see the JavaScript (JS). If accessing IP is a concern, you can minify and obfuscate your JS. Furthermore, you can prevent users from further updates to the managed solution with Managed Properties.

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,196)