cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DMum
Advocate III
Advocate III

Rename Dataverse Table/Entity

I want to change the Table internal name (one is read-only in GUI). Is it possible? Do I have to recreate the table (Entity) again?

Please advise.

Best,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @DMum,

Unfortunately table name cannot be changed after it is created. The Display Name (label) can be modified however.

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @DMum,

Unfortunately table name cannot be changed after it is created. The Display Name (label) can be modified however.

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up. 

DMum
Advocate III
Advocate III

Thank you @ChrisPiasecki  for your quick reply

Hi @ChrisPiasecki ,

In a Solution, I have renamed a table's Display Name. I am facing multiple issues trying to create new solution elements, such as custom command bar commands, and 'classic' dataverse Processes such as Workflows and Actions. Are there known issues when table display names are changed? 

In the command bar case, when I first went to create command bar commands using PowerFX, there were errors. Opening the underlying 'app' revealed that the app instantiated the data source using the original table dispaly name. I managed to wrangle it by deleting and re-adding the data source...the designer also frequently references the old table display name, so I manually patch it up. 

With regards to Actions, I am trying to build an action which sets properties on the table when a child record changes. When I bring up the properties of the Set Properties action on the table, an error pops up, without useful information, shown below. This doesn't happen with other tables.

Invalid Argument

Invalid Argument.

• Timestamp: 3/18/2022 3:19:28 PM UTC
  • Service Request Id: f31b3189-3ddf-40f5-a687-81a2f65c6169
Hide Technical Details
  • Tenant Id: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Url: https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.crm.dynamics.com
  • Organization Id: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Type: CustomerTest
  • Unique name: unqd369e80d88f1460c88c469e5168f3
  • Created on: 11/5/2021 3:45:24 PM
  • State: Enabled
  • Security Group: Not set

I am tempted to try to rename the table back, but concerned this will break more existing components. 

Any other fix? Is there something under the covers that needs to be fixed up to avoid these issues? How would one go about diagnosing this?

PS: Doing more homework, I see when trying to set the properties on the above-mentioned Update Record step of the Workflow, the URL invoked for the Update Record Property Editor differs from all other tables by having this query string parameter at the end:

&user_lcid=1033

I never setup any localization resources. All I did was rename the table's Display Name. Perhaps changing a display name kicks in some kind of localization requirements?

I am having similar problems as @LenC , I changed the display name of a dataverse table and now M having issues with my PowerApp. Does changing the display name back resolve the issues?

LenC
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @JenniferFGI , The issue, as MS Support found, was that some part of the form got corrupted. Cannot recall if it was a tab, container, or individual field. But deleting a few of the tabs and rebuilding fixed the issue. In my case, it was not a big deal...

I would suggest stripping down the form until it works again, and then building it back up. You could try creating a new main form first. Although that seems to copy the existing (or another) Main Form. But you could strip that copy down and see if it works; then you'll have a better idea if your issue was along the same lines as mine. 

In short, table Display Name changes should work; my form got corrupted, possibly because of the rename, possibly just a corruption while saving the form. Rebuilding works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Users online (1,900)