cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greggpowell
Helper II
Helper II

SOLVED............POWER APPS EXCEL DATA IMPORT FEATURE IS B-R-O-K-E-N..... PLEASE FIX THIS MICROSOFT!!!

POWER APPS EXCEL DATA IMPORT FEATURE IS B-R-O-K-E-N..... PLEASE FIX THIS MICROSOFT!!!!!!

Solved - see below..........

Steve Pucelik from Microsoft gave me this solution after I spent 2 weeks of getting nowhere, and literally countless hours looking for help from people here, and from MS Tech Support.

1. Once the excel file is imported into Dataverse thru Power Query - be sure the Dataflow ran, and finished updating.

2. After importing the data into Power Query (while in Power Query) - be sure all columns are selected (just click on the choose columns button to be sure all are selected), and click on the "use first row as headers button"

3. After next, Under column mapping - keep the "Unique Primary Name Box" as "auto-generated", and give the "Name Column" box a unique name not matching an existing column name - something like "primarykey".  Under Load Settings, Select the "Load to new table" radio button, and give the table name and table display name boxes names you'll recognize later in the custom table list. Next -  Refresh manually if you want, and then create.

4. Refresh the browser

5. Go in to Dataflows right away - find the flow with the Next Refresh still in Progress. Rename it to something that links it to the table it is connected to (this should be done automatically by Power Apps - but it is not). I name it the same as the table name. Of course, you must wait for the flow to finish it's initial refresh before you go on.

6. Back to Tables - under custom tables - find the table you just created. 

7. Now go to Views - Select Active-TableName .... Pick the Active view of the table

8. On the left - click on the columns names to add them to the view

9. In the top right - hit save, and then publish.

10. Go back to the Data > Tables in Power apps, for the table you were just working on.

11. Click on the Data menu item (lower one to the right of Keys) - select refresh data at the top below the purple banner - and refresh the data - (you may not need to do this).....

12. All of the columns and your original data in the excel file will be there.

BIG THANKS TO STEVE PUCELIK AT MICROSOFT FOR SOLVING THIS CONUMDRUM!   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
greggpowell
Helper II
Helper II

Steve Pucelik from Microsoft gave me this solution after I spent 2 weeks of getting nowhere, and literally countless hours looking for help from people here, and from MS Tech Support.

1. Once the excel file is imported into Dataverse thru Power Query - be sure the Dataflow ran, and finished updating.

2. After importing the data into Power Query (while in Power Query) - be sure all columns are selected (just click on the choose columns button to be sure all are selected), and click on the "use first row as headers button"

3. After next, Under column mapping - keep the "Unique Primary Name Box" as "auto-generated", and give the "Name Column" box a unique name not matching an existing column name - something like "primarykey".  Under Load Settings, Select the "Load to new table" radio button, and give the table name and table display name boxes names you'll recognize later in the custom table list. Next -  Refresh manually if you want, and then create.

4. Refresh the browser

5. Go in to Dataflows right away - find the flow with the Next Refresh still in Progress. Rename it to something that links it to the table it is connected to (this should be done automatically by Power Apps - but it is not). I name it the same as the table name. Of course, you must wait for the flow to finish it's initial refresh before you go on.

7. Now go to Views - Select Active-TableName .... Pick the Active view of the table

10. Go back to the Data > Tables in Power apps, for the table you were just working on.

11. Click on the Data menu item (lower one to the right of Keys) - select refresh data at the top below the purple banner - and refresh the data - (you may not need to do this).....

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
greggpowell
Helper II
Helper II

crickets.....

Hi @greggpowell,

Please note that this is a community forum, almost all of us are not Microsoft employees and help outside of our regular work hours. If this is an urgent issue for you and your business, you might be better served opening a support ticket with MSFT directly via the Admin Center (or via other official support channels based on your support subscription).

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Hi Chris-

Yes, I understand that. My post I guess, is really pointed toward the Microsoft Power Apps people who have oversight of this forum..... Actually - I have been thru I think 3 or 4 different tech support people, and a Microsoft Power Apps Developer I'm working with on a project for my work.....  Yesterday I spent about 30 minutes in a Teams call with a consultant in Canada who confirmed that, yes in fact - the ability to import xlsx or csv tables into Dataverse 'directly' was broken and has been. He talked about how the Power Platform environment was built on top of Dynamic 365 - and that there are bits and pieces, here and there in power apps and power automate that just... don't work. I think, eventually, if enough people raise a ruckus, then they will add those problems to their list of priorities that deserve their attention. 

So, None of the MS Tech Support people had a solution because the issue I have brought up is actually Broken. I am just trying to point this out - hopefully, so that someone at Microsoft takes note and the people responsible for developing and maintaining Power Apps fix it.

greggpowell
Helper II
Helper II

4. Refresh the browser

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,024)