cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ebm1001
Frequent Visitor

Sharepoint ID search in PowerApps

Hi!
I have one List Screen in which my items have the ID in Sharepoint as a Subtitle. I want to search by all: Title, Subtitle and Body. The problem is that when I try to search by the ID everything goes blank.
I attach the formulas I used in case any of you can help me figure out how to solve it.
Search(my_SP_List, TextSearchBox1.Text, "a", "b", "ID")
The thing is that when I have the formula like this Search(my_SP_List, TextSearchBox1.Text, "a", "b") it works, but not with the ID from Sharepoint:
Thank you very much for your time.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ebm1001 ,

Do you mean that you could not use ID field in search function?

Two reasons:

1)search function only works for text type field, ID field is number type

2)Textinput.Text represents text , not number

To solve this problem, you need to add a text type column with the value of ID and search based on this field.

Try this function:

Search(
       AddColumns(my_SP_List,"id2",Text(ID)), 
       TextSearchBox1.Text,
       "a", "b", "id2")

What's more, the delegation problem that @Drrickryp said may affect your issue too, but not the key problem.

Could you tell me how many records are in your sharepoint list?

If it is less then 2000, you just need to change the delegation limit to 2000 to avoid the effect.

delegation.jpg

If it is larger then 2000, I suggest you save data to collection then filter based on this collection.

I do not suggest you use startswith function to avoid the delegation limit because startswith function and search function are different feather. Number type(ID field) is not delegate for startswith function neither.

Just need to do this: 

set the app's OnStart:

ClearCollect(collection1,my_SP_List)

set the gallery's Items:

Search(
       AddColumns(collection1,"id2",Text(ID)), 
       TextSearchBox1.Text,
       "a", "b", "id2")

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

Hi @ebm1001 

You would get more responses if you posted your question in the Building PowerApps forum.  This forum is meant for Common Data Service issues.  

To your point, Search() is not delegatable in SharePoint.  The correct syntax for your formula would be something like

Filter(my_SP_List, StartsWith( ID, SearchInput.Text ) )

Ref. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-startswith 

You may need to chain the StartsWith() functions search several columns. 

An alternative would be to create a collection form your SP list and then Search() will work on it as collections are not subject to delegation limits and all PowerApps functions will work on them. 

v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ebm1001 ,

Do you mean that you could not use ID field in search function?

Two reasons:

1)search function only works for text type field, ID field is number type

2)Textinput.Text represents text , not number

To solve this problem, you need to add a text type column with the value of ID and search based on this field.

Try this function:

Search(
       AddColumns(my_SP_List,"id2",Text(ID)), 
       TextSearchBox1.Text,
       "a", "b", "id2")

What's more, the delegation problem that @Drrickryp said may affect your issue too, but not the key problem.

Could you tell me how many records are in your sharepoint list?

If it is less then 2000, you just need to change the delegation limit to 2000 to avoid the effect.

delegation.jpg

If it is larger then 2000, I suggest you save data to collection then filter based on this collection.

I do not suggest you use startswith function to avoid the delegation limit because startswith function and search function are different feather. Number type(ID field) is not delegate for startswith function neither.

Just need to do this: 

set the app's OnStart:

ClearCollect(collection1,my_SP_List)

set the gallery's Items:

Search(
       AddColumns(collection1,"id2",Text(ID)), 
       TextSearchBox1.Text,
       "a", "b", "id2")

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yutliu-msft  What is the "a" and "b" of the search formula?  Thanks.

AdrianQ9
Regular Visitor

There actually is a way to search the Sharepoint ID.

I found it on another form (source at the very bottom), you basically convert the ID value to text. 

Text (ID)

• I changed my ID to be called Reference ID
  • The bolded is the formula you need
  • Edit the orange sections
  • I have other filters if you don't need drop downs for filters remove those 

Filter( 'Preclearance Form',
('Approval Status'.Value = Dropdown1.Selected.Value || If(IsBlank(Dropdown1.Selected.Value),true,false)) &&
('Full Name With Title'.Value = Dropdown2.Selected.Value || If(IsBlank(Dropdown2.Selected.Value),true,false)) &&
(StartsWith(Text('Reference ID'),SearchBox.Text) || If(IsBlank(SearchBox.Text),true,false))
)

Source I got the Text (ID) from:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Can-PowerApps-search-the-Default-ID-field-in... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (1,797)