Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxpower45255
Advocate II
Advocate II

Sharing a dataverse entity or table across solutions for centralized logging

hey all

Does anyone have thoughts on how to share a dataverse table/entity across solutions? I have a need to add my custom centralized logging to report on some metrics for all my bots/flows (outside of what's being provided out of the box by power automate). If I add the table (call it "EventLog") to Solution1, how can I write to it from solution2, 3, etc? Finally, I should be able to run reports against the table data and connect to it via PowerBI.

I know I can create a SQL Server table and use any sql server actions. But I was wondering if this can be done in dataverse. 

thanks!  

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
MayankP
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @maxpower45255 ,

You can add same table to multiple solutions with out any issues but generally (assuming your deployment will be Managed solution).. best practice is to have Table created inside Base Solution (or Solution 1) and then rest of solutions (like Solution 2, Solution 3) should just use this table and only include certain changes which are relevant to this solution..

for example Solution 2, you have requirement to add new column to this table and then only include this column as part of this solution (i.e. Solution 2)..

this way when you deploy to TEST, UAT, LIVE .....you will be deploying in sequence , first Base Solution (or Solution 1) which would be creating this table and other Solutions .(like Solution 2)... will add/remove changes from this table...

Hope this helps..

View solution in original post

MayankP
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @maxpower45255 ,

Data will be shared across the solutions and have no direct relationship as such.. solution stores metadata (Columns and its type etc.)  about the tables and tables which actually hold these data..

so this way solution does not have data included in them....

maxpower45255
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thanks @Mayank! I tested it using two test solutions. I created MyTable1 in Solution1, then added MyTable1 to Solution2 (using import existing). Then I added two rows to MyTable1 in Solution1. When I view the table data in MyTable1 under Solution2, I can see the same data. 

5 REPLIES 5
MayankP
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @maxpower45255 ,

You can add same table to multiple solutions with out any issues but generally (assuming your deployment will be Managed solution).. best practice is to have Table created inside Base Solution (or Solution 1) and then rest of solutions (like Solution 2, Solution 3) should just use this table and only include certain changes which are relevant to this solution..

for example Solution 2, you have requirement to add new column to this table and then only include this column as part of this solution (i.e. Solution 2)..

this way when you deploy to TEST, UAT, LIVE .....you will be deploying in sequence , first Base Solution (or Solution 1) which would be creating this table and other Solutions .(like Solution 2)... will add/remove changes from this table...

Hope this helps..

maxpower45255
Advocate II
Advocate II

thanks @MayankP . How about data? do you know if it'll be shared across solutions, or will each solution have its own table and data?   

MayankP
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @maxpower45255 ,

Data will be shared across the solutions and have no direct relationship as such.. solution stores metadata (Columns and its type etc.)  about the tables and tables which actually hold these data..

so this way solution does not have data included in them....

maxpower45255
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thanks @Mayank! I tested it using two test solutions. I created MyTable1 in Solution1, then added MyTable1 to Solution2 (using import existing). Then I added two rows to MyTable1 in Solution1. When I view the table data in MyTable1 under Solution2, I can see the same data. 

SudheerMuhammed
Frequent Visitor

I am facing an issue when we deploy in QA environment as Managed , the import wizard failed by getting error that I need to bring all dependencies from another solution which use those shared table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Users online (2,851)