cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GARYCLIZALEK

Table View Related Tables

We have 10 custom tables.  Some of these tables have up to 4 many-to-1 Lookup columns with each other.  I have been adding Related table fields to some of these table's views. I have now encountered tables with views (editing) that do not list all the related tables, so I cannot add the related table fields to the view, even though the table lists the relationships. No table is close to the limit of 10 related table references (per table).  These same tables do have fields referenced in other table's views.  It is like I hit some limit based on number, not a table.  I exported the solution and imported it into a different environment; same problem.  No errors encountered.  The only thing in the solution besides the tables are 4 Choices and a model driven app including all tables and no customizations (create only).  This appears to be strictly a Dataverse issue.

Does anyone know why this might be occurring?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Found the problem.  After hours of trying to determined what I might have done wrong, I deleted the Lookup column in the Dataverse table that was not appearing in the pick list and then created it again (exactly the same), and it now appears as expected.  It appears something went wrong during the creation of the column/field, though no error was reported and the solution verified all MS tests (solution export process).  My guess is that the process involves asynchronous methods and something failed but everything else continued independently.  It appears that it did this 3 more times (3 other columns) on another table.  The error is captured in an export file and appears when imported, but is not repeatable by recreating the tables from scratch.

The moral of this story is that Power Apps appears to be half-baked software, so don't expect it to work every time the same way.  Power Apps may be reliable at some time in the future, not that I will hold my breath, but if something doesn't seem to be right, delete it and do it again.  This is one of those times where doing the same thing and expecting a different result is not insane, it is a real possible solution.

I guess I didn't see that one coming.  I thought that columns get created the same way every time.  How crazy is that?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GARYCLIZALEK

Update:  It appears the limit is 10 Custom relationships per table (standard type not included)?

This appears to include all relationships listed in the Relationships tab for any table?

For one table, there are 10 custom relationships.  Should still be OK, right?

Another table has only 7 such relationships, yet no custom table related tables are listed for its view Related tables to select a field.

I still don't see why these tables are not listed among the choices of Related tables.

bipinshan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

Can you use Classic Designer to check if related table is present?

You can navigate to Advanced settings->Settings->Customization->Customize the system->Entities->Select your entity->Relationship

Please mark my answer verified if this is helpful!

Regards,

Bipin Kumar

Follow my Blog: https://xrmdynamicscrm.wordpress.com/

Classic Designer also verifies the table relationship exists. Existence is not the issue.

The problem is that some Views do not list all the related tables in the "Related" pick list, even though the table (self) lists the referencing lookup field. So no custom related table fields can be added to some views.  All the standard ones (auto generated) are there.

These same tables are related to other tables and those table's views do list the relationship.  There are no circular relationships.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Found the problem.  After hours of trying to determined what I might have done wrong, I deleted the Lookup column in the Dataverse table that was not appearing in the pick list and then created it again (exactly the same), and it now appears as expected.  It appears something went wrong during the creation of the column/field, though no error was reported and the solution verified all MS tests (solution export process).  My guess is that the process involves asynchronous methods and something failed but everything else continued independently.  It appears that it did this 3 more times (3 other columns) on another table.  The error is captured in an export file and appears when imported, but is not repeatable by recreating the tables from scratch.

The moral of this story is that Power Apps appears to be half-baked software, so don't expect it to work every time the same way.  Power Apps may be reliable at some time in the future, not that I will hold my breath, but if something doesn't seem to be right, delete it and do it again.  This is one of those times where doing the same thing and expecting a different result is not insane, it is a real possible solution.

I guess I didn't see that one coming.  I thought that columns get created the same way every time.  How crazy is that?

YuHash
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've got the same issue and solved by re-creating the look up column...really appreciate you've shared the solution. 
Not very sure what is the root cause but agree this is really annoying and Power Apps/Dataverse should be more reliable for makers...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations 768x460.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

<
Users online (3,288)