cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonKho
Frequent Visitor

Unable to display values in combo box or dropdown list from choice column (Dataverse)

Hi all

I need help on this issue with loading values to the combo box from one of the columns which is the default 'Status Reason'. I am trying to display records through text boxes, combo boxes and date pickers. You can refer to the screenshot shown below.

2022-05-29 22.37.21.png

I tried using the same fx code for text boxes and date picker which worked but it is not working for the combo box.

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 10.21.42 PM.png

Here are the table and column details

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 10.27.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 10.24.53 PM.png

Note: I referred to the posts shown below.

1) Solved: Re: Combo Box Choices Search - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)Solved: Re: Combo Box Choices Search - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

2) Solved: Filter Dataverse table with Choice Column. Use tab... - Power Platform Community (microso...

Thank you for reading this post and I look forward to the replies and correct answer.

Regards

Jon

4 REPLIES 4
PowerPuffKK
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @JonKho , 

Comboboxes with Choice columns in Dataverse work slightly differently which is why you're having issues (been there, done that!)

If you want to display the Combobox standalone, you'll need to use this formula:

Choices(Contacts.'Status reason')

Contacts is the name of my table, and Status Reason is the name of my choices.

If you want to use the Combobox within the gallery, you'll need to adjust it slightly to:

Choices(ThisItem.'Status reason')

Hope this helps - please mark it as a solution if it does to help future forum visitors.

Thanks

Kristine 😊

Hi @PowerPuffKK 

Thank you for the reply.

I did tried that previously and unfortunately it does not work as I wanted to correct records to be displayed.

Refer to the screenshots shown below.

JonKho_0-1653892464597.png

JonKho_1-1653892529258.png

Table records

JonKho_2-1653892700738.png

Thank you.

Regards

Jon

JonKho
Frequent Visitor

Hi all

I have tried to use drop down list but I met with another road block.

Edit:

I managed to display the results through dropdown list and combo box using lookup function. Refer to the screenshots below for more information.

Using Dropdown List

dropdownlist_1.JPG

Using Combo Box

dropdownlist_3.JPG

Fortunately, I was able to use collection feature for dropdown list to select the choices found in choice column, 'Status Reason'.

1)Setup the collection details.

onStart.JPG

2) Select the collection as datasource to allow values to be selected and also enter the fx code on lookup to load all the records according to the primary key. 

dropdownlist_4.JPG

3) Able to choose the values

dropdownlist_5.jpg

But I am unable to list out the choices values for combo box even though I tried using choices and collection functions.

dropdownlist_2.JPG

I would appreciate if someone can assist me with this.

Thank you.

Regards

Jon

Hi,

In the normal properties pane (i.e. not the advanced tab you are on), there is an option for fields which determines how it is displayed, I would gather from your screenshots that the wrong items are being displayed as you have not selected which items to display from the formula @PowerPuffKKgave you.

image.png

You should be able to change these to have it display the correct values instead of [object] [object] or the serial number column that it defaulted to.

Cheers,

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events that are happening this month - don't miss out!

Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (3,852)