Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lkaspar
Resolver I
Resolver I

Unable to upgrade or delete solution - environment variable

Hi All,

I am running into issues upgrading a solution (PurchaseOrderApproval) in one of our downstream environments. I have attached the log generated during import; I've also attached screenshots of the history/exception message:

lkaspar_1-1642542770053.png  

lkaspar_2-1642542918789.png

Exception message
No environment variable definition found for value id 1870bed3-23bd-eb11-bacc-000d3a6b0464.

From what I can see in the History, there's about 3 environment variables it is complaining about (there's a total of 6 in the solution).

The error message is thrown during the uninstall of the current version (.19). The same error message is thrown when I try to manually delete the solution.

At this point I have the original version and the Upgrade version, both of which I cannot delete (or upgrade).

lkaspar_3-1642543102020.png

Things I have tried:

1. Deleted all environment variable values in the downstream environment

2. Removed all references of the environment variable from the solution

3. Imported a new solution containing all environment variables of PurchaseOrderApproval

I tried to delete PurchaseOrderApproval and PurchaseOrderApproval_Upgrade with each step but received the same error message every time.

Something that stood out to me, the environment variable values it is complaining about are different between environments. This is the case even after importing the FixEnvironmentVariables solution.

Environment   
Source1870bed3-23bd-eb11-bacc-000d3a6b0464
Target65b1fb57-2378-ec11-8d21-00224814e6a4

I am not sure what I can do at this point apart from nuking the entire environment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
AMorbois_Adc
Frequent Visitor

Hi @MarHas 
Thank you for helping, can you give us precision on the ticket ?
I'm facing the same issue, do you know how they fixed it or what manipulation solved it? 

MarHas

Hi @AMorbois_Adc , I know nothing what they did. They just fixed it and I could delete the update environment and deploy it again

AMorbois_Adc
Frequent Visitor

Just posting to let people know about it.
It is indeed a known issue on Microsoft side and they are working on it.
it's related to orphan environment variable, so if you have an error message like "No environment variable definition found for value id <ID>." at some point, it's probably the same issue. 
Microsoft already have a mitigation script as a workaround so best solution is to open a ticket directly and mention @MarHas ticket (2201310050001374) so they understand the context and can act quickly.

PeterFromDenver
Frequent Visitor

I'm having this issue and it's been twice now.  so I have an environment with two solutions using the same components but broken. If I go in to Dev and create a 3rd solution with all the components, I'll be able to import but the risk is how long until that one breaks..  

I'll try @MarHas advice and create a ticket.

abhishekgawde
Helper II
Helper II

Hello, 

Please raise a support ticket with Microsoft. They have been very helpful and the issue was resolved.

Best,

Abhishek

This is a bug that MS is working on. To get it fixed you need to log a ticket, which you can do from the admin center.

eromerof1
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I resolved this issue by disabling the plugin '(Plugin) Microsoft.Dynamics.EnvironmentVariables.Plugins.UpdateVariableValue'. I don't know if it's the best solution but working for me 😊

eromerof1_0-1646127859965.png

amandalee
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am experiencing the same issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (1,519)