cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgriese0310
Frequent Visitor

Update Table in a Managed Solution with Power shell

CONTEXT:

I developed a canvas app using Dataverse in my development environment.  I build several custom tables, including a reference table for project attributes such as project number, tasks, client etc... during development we were using Power Shell to update the table from the ERP System, and everything woks swimmingly! 

ISSUE:

I Moved the solution from the Development environment into production as a Managed Solution, now I cannot seem to update the Project Reference table using Power Shell in order to have the project attributes that I need. 

Is the table being contained in the Managed Solution a limiting factor? 
Is there a work around? 

Thank you in advance for any help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cgriese0310
Frequent Visitor

The issue was related to security roles - they were not configured correctly to allow writing to the table.  Once we addressed that there was no more issue. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @cgriese0310,

Could you clarify a few details.

1. What kind of updates are you trying to make to the Project Table using PowerShell? Is it schema updates, or data?
  2. Are you trying to make changes directly to the managed solution in production, or unmanaged in development?

You will be limited in what changes you can make to a component within a managed solution, this is by design. All component changes should be made to the unmanaged solution. The exported managed solution should be treated as a build artifact that is deployed as is to downstream environments.

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Chris - Thanks for the response.  

Your question - what type of changes am I trying to make with PowerShell in the Managed solution

A: I am simply trying to populate it with data 3x a day - essentially a data feed to the existing Schema to populate Project Attributes from our ERP System.  I am not attempting to alter the Schema or any properties of the table/object - just populate it with data from the ERP system.

Does this clarify and help? 

Thanks! 

@ChrisPiasecki forgot to mention, I'm attempting to update the data on the projects table in the managed solution.

But again, just trying to update the data... The application itself won't even be writing to this table, it's just using it as reference

Hi @cgriese0310,

OK - - so it's just data integration that you're trying to achieve. Can you provide some more detail around the kinds of errors you are experiencing?

Also, is there a particular reason you would like to use PowerShell versus other data integration tools available natively, such as Dataflows, Power Automate, Azure Data Factory, Azure Functions, etc?

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

@ChrisPiasecki - we can't even figure our how to write to the table now that its in a managed solution.  I take it from your response it is possible...  Can you point me to some documentation?  

@ChrisPiasecki   This is the error :

Is missing prvCreatefs001_Project_Reference privilege

Thoughts on how to fix this? 

cgriese0310
Frequent Visitor

The issue was related to security roles - they were not configured correctly to allow writing to the table.  Once we addressed that there was no more issue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (1,665)