cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jegaveer
Regular Visitor

Updating/ Changing the 'owner' information column in a dataverse table

Hello All,

I have a table in dataverse and I am wondering how to modify  the 'owner' column (has more than 50,000 records) of the table .I am trying to implement to row level security for the below table and would like to test it.

I would like the instructor to see only the subjects (Class Name) which they handle. The assumption which I have is that, if I update the specific instructor's name as owner and grant them read access, they could see the records which they own. But I am not sure how to achieve this if we have more records in the owner column. Also, if I create 'team' and add all the instructors, would they still be able to see their own class name.

Sample table:

Class NameInstructorOwner
BiologyJackSys Admin
MathsJohnSys Admin
BiologyJackSys Admin
HistoryAdamSys Admin
GeographyPaulSys Admin
HistoryAdamSys Admin

Thank you so much in advance! Really appreciate your comments.

13 REPLIES 13

Hi @dpoggemann , thanks for the quick response. Yes, I am using the directquery to connect to the dataverse. The dataverse security works on the power bi desktop but not on the workspace. I'll be happy to provide any additional information which could be helpful.

Thank you so much and really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Jega

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jegaveer ,

I think the key thing to look at is the connection (credentials) you are utilizing during direct query as discussed on this page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about 

See the following:

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.22.16 PM.png

Overall you need to make sure the credentials in the service are the end users credentials vs. a service account or the security will not work as expected.

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Hi @dpoggemann , Thanks for your response. I checked the credentials today and they are the same. It is the same account (name@onmicrosoft.com) that is in the security role (basic user and read-only access to some tables) in dataverse and in the power bi workspace (with admin privileges).

I also tried refreshing and re-publishing the report/ dataset, its still the same.

Thanks you so much!

Thanks!

Jega

Hi @dpoggemann , it worked! thank you so much! I followed everything but missed to turn on the below check box in the 'edit credentials' in dataset settings in power bi workspace.

Jegaveer_0-1649878953635.png

Thanks again!

Regards,

Jega

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,512)