cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bilalsh01
Frequent Visitor

Uploading files to CDS Entity "File" Datatype (filetype)

Hi PowerAppers,

I need to attach 3 files (PDFs) to each record in a CDS entity. I have enabled attachments on the entity. I am also making use of the "File" datatype (filetype) in the CDS entity. I have 3 "File" fields in the entity.

Through a form and I am able to upload and attach files to the 3 fields manually with no problems. The trouble is I have thousands of records in the entity and I need an automated way to upload and attach all these files to their corresponding records.

I have been experimenting with Power Automation, with no luck. The "Update a Record" action does not expose the "File" datatype fields. I read somewhere that the file attachments are stored in the "Note" entity, but the "File" datatype attachments are not.

Can you please help me figure out a practical way to automate this process?

Many Thanks

Bilalsh01

13 REPLIES 13

About your problem, I had some similar. That the flow in the power automate run twice and then generate two records in the fileattachments entity. Check if have two file records for the same record. I discovered this when I contact MS support about the download problem too.

Hi Michael,

Got it.  I take it Microsoft hasn't come back with a working solution yet huh?

Thanks

They applied a fixed on the environment an the problem doesn't come back.

Hi Michael,

Have you created a Flow to store a file in a Dataverse File field?  I have been trying to get a Flow to do this and even used the JSON you mentioned, but I continue to get errors related to Flow not recognizing the MIME type.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,313)