cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
henrylamborn1
Frequent Visitor

Virtual Entities in Model Driven App

Hi,

I'm trying to teach myself more around virtual entities, and have a use case at my organisation to display some data (opportunity reference numbers and names) from one Dynamics instance in Environment A, in a model driven PowerApp in environment B (no Dynamics here, using PowerApps licenses). These need be read only.

I'm struggling to find decent information to set this up, and even more so I can't seem to access the Virtual Entities Datasource element through the advanced settings (which appear as below).

Is someone able to advise whether what I'm trying to do is a sensible appraoch + why the datasource setting doesn't appear in my environment?

henrylamborn1_0-1659485312584.png

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
eleung83
Resolver II
Resolver II

Unfortunately you are about 6 months early in what you want to do without more effort required. What I think you are essentially asking for is:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/power-platform-release-plan/2022wave2/data-platform/virtual-tables-...

As you are using a model driven app in Environment B, you still have a dataverse database sitting behind the scenes to host the model driven app, but to be able to run queries on the target dataverse database, you'll need to be able to do authentication (generate a bearer token for the target dataverse environment) which the current providers don't do. You would either have to develop your own provider, or expose an azure function that uses api keys to control access, and could then authenticate against other database environments

Also, to get to the Virtual Entity Data Sources you just need to click on the "Administration" menu item underneath "System" in your screenshot.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
eleung83
Resolver II
Resolver II

Unfortunately you are about 6 months early in what you want to do without more effort required. What I think you are essentially asking for is:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/power-platform-release-plan/2022wave2/data-platform/virtual-tables-...

As you are using a model driven app in Environment B, you still have a dataverse database sitting behind the scenes to host the model driven app, but to be able to run queries on the target dataverse database, you'll need to be able to do authentication (generate a bearer token for the target dataverse environment) which the current providers don't do. You would either have to develop your own provider, or expose an azure function that uses api keys to control access, and could then authenticate against other database environments

Also, to get to the Virtual Entity Data Sources you just need to click on the "Administration" menu item underneath "System" in your screenshot.

henrylamborn1
Frequent Visitor

@eleung83 thank you for your help with this, exactly what I was looking for, just couldn't pin down the information.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Government Carousel

New forum: GCC, GCCH, DoD - Federal App Makers (FAM)

In response to the unique and evolving requirements of the United States public sector, Microsoft has created Power Apps US Government.

Users online (2,681)