cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cb_biggs
Regular Visitor

What is a primary column?

I was trying to import data from excel into a table, and when I created a custom table which would be a table for applicants. For the primary column I named it Applicant Name. I am a little confused on what the primary column is for, Is it like an id in SQL? In the table I included fields for first name and last name. Should I get rid of those, and just use the names in the applicant name field when I import? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @cb_biggs ,

There is a "Primary Name" column in most tables in Dataverse.  This Primary Name column is used in all list views to click through (hyperlink) and get to the record's form.  Whenever you add a lookup from one table to another table (i.e. a N:1) it shows this as the reference to that other record.  The value in this column does not need to be unique because there is still a unique GUID behind the scenes when you joining tables that is utilized systematically.

Looking at Contact, for example, it has fullname field as the primary name field and it still contains first name and last name fields as well.

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/powerapps-docs/blob/main/powerapps-docs/developer/data-platform/ent... 

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @cb_biggs ,

There is a "Primary Name" column in most tables in Dataverse.  This Primary Name column is used in all list views to click through (hyperlink) and get to the record's form.  Whenever you add a lookup from one table to another table (i.e. a N:1) it shows this as the reference to that other record.  The value in this column does not need to be unique because there is still a unique GUID behind the scenes when you joining tables that is utilized systematically.

Looking at Contact, for example, it has fullname field as the primary name field and it still contains first name and last name fields as well.

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/powerapps-docs/blob/main/powerapps-docs/developer/data-platform/ent... 

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (3,779)