cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave8
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

What is the best practice to migrate components from one MPP environment to another?

Hello,

there are couple of apps and flows created without the solution which I require to transfer from one environment to another.

Can you please share, the best practice ?  I usually do as follows:

Environment 1: 

1. Create solution - "Solution 1"
  2. add components like apps/flows/entities
  3. publish customization
  4. create Managed solution

Environment 2:

1. Import Solution - "Solution 1"
  2. save components such as flow, while app will be deployed if I am correct

Can I delete the "Solution 1" from Environment 1 and 2? If not, how should I preserve or manage these components? Can you please share the best practices?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
mohsinkhalid
Resolver II
Resolver II

The best practice is to create a solution in environment 1 like you are doing and then export out a managed version of that solution to environment 2. If you delete the solution from environment 1 you will only be deleting the solution and not the components however you will need it to track changes you already pushed and best practice is to use the same solution for your next release by upgrading the version of it. Please see this series on solutioning for a more in depth review https://mohsinkhalid.com/2020/07/27/how-to-create-a-new-solution-in-dynamics-crm-and-power-platform/

To add to the previous post, there is an important difference depending on whether you export the solution as managed or unmanaged.

If you export as managed, then if you delete the solution in environment 2, it will also delete the solution components. Whereas if you export as unmanaged, then if you delete the solution in environment 2, the components will remain.

Also, if you do export as managed, you should keep the original solution in environment 1. This is because the components will belong to the solution in environment 2, and you will only be able to update them in environment 2 (though this depends on what Managed Properties you set) by reimporting from the same original solution (or an updated version or patch from it)  

EricRegnier
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @dave8,

I would also refer to the Microsoft's ALM best practice pages at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/alm/.

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (90,846)