Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christoph_G
Advocate II
Advocate II

Where are attachments stored?

Hello,

I have two questions concerning CDS attachments (the ones you can add after ticking the box "Enable attachments (including notes and files)")

1) Where are attachments stored?
I can access them in PowerApps via ThisItem.{Attachments} which works fine; but when i look into the Entitiy "Attachments" in the CDS it is empty.

2) How much storage do i have for Attachments in total?
This Post talks about 10MB size limit per attachment, but not about the total file storage.
I in general would be interested in CDS Storage.
On this site it says sth about "File Storage in CDS per User" and "Data Storage in CDS per User" but both of these lines have no value specified.
On pricing.powerapps.com there is also no specification concerning storage amount. It just refers to the upper link where there is no specification either (as already stated)

Thank you and kind regards
Christoph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Christoph_G, 

The attachements when you enable the Notes and Attachements, are saved to the entity Annotations, that is related automatically with that entity. 

There are other ways to save the attachments and that is when in Dynamics 365 CE you enable SharePoint integrations, but the most comon one is to use the Annotations (Notes) entity out of the box. 

The space is limited to 10MB per attachment, you can add as many attachments and that will impact your CDS and Dynamics 365 Data base, and will incurr in a charge on data space. 

Hope this helps. 

Abe.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Christoph_G,

Did you make sure that you have followed the steps here:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/add-attachments-to-your-common-data-service-entities/

You can access the attachment using attachment control for canvas PowerApps.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-monli-msft

thank you for your answer and sorry the question, but: did you even read my question?

I did write that attaching files and accessing the attachments in PowerApps works fine.

The real question was where attachments are stored in the background.... Apparently not in the "Attachments" Entity of the CDS (since it's empty; also if there are attachments on records), but where?
Second question: How much storage is available for attachments within the CDS there's no information to be found anywhere (or at least i didn't find it...)

Thank you and kind regards
Christoph

Christoph_G, 

The attachements when you enable the Notes and Attachements, are saved to the entity Annotations, that is related automatically with that entity. 

There are other ways to save the attachments and that is when in Dynamics 365 CE you enable SharePoint integrations, but the most comon one is to use the Annotations (Notes) entity out of the box. 

The space is limited to 10MB per attachment, you can add as many attachments and that will impact your CDS and Dynamics 365 Data base, and will incurr in a charge on data space. 

Hope this helps. 

Abe.

There is no such entity as Annotations or Notes.

when you expand all entities, using the link at the end of the list of entities you will see a complete list, to reset the filter on the list. 

I attached the image showing the Annotations (Note) entity that is the one assigned when you enable the entity, and also another image where you configure and add the notes to an entity.

Hope this will help you!

abe

Thanks for the update. How to get these attachments for a particular record using Flow?
What would be the identifier?

None of the files I uploaded to a file column are shown in Annotations, or any other table on Dataverse for that matter. Where are they?

TonyKuiper1967
Regular Visitor

They are in the list of tables. You need to select ALL instead of recommended. Search (top right) for notes and the table is there. 

Screenshot 2022-05-27 104031.jpg

TonyKuiper1967
Regular Visitor

I think one thing that may be missing would be to alias that Notes table into the "working" table so that the data is accessible on forms and views. Perhaps someone has an answer on doing this???

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (4,962)