cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Why CDS

Hi All,

I'm new CDS. I would like to know purpose of using data in CDS. I can still have my rows and column in SQL Server or SharePoint List. 

Why I need to use CDS. Please explain Pros and Cons 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Hi @mdhashim 

The biggest reason to use CDS is that it allows you to create Model-driven apps, which are a much faster way to create a solution than canvas apps. CDS also appears to be the cornerstone product to the Power Platform going forward, and the more your data is stored in CDS the more you can take advantage of all the Microsoft products, like AI Builder.

They also provide end users much more power at a much lower entry point than either SharePoint or SQL. So users in your organizations can have a tool that's more powerful than SharePoint lists and easier to use than SQL Server.

The cons are mostly to do with data migration and legacy systems, as is usually the case with any data storage change. But CDS comes with both one time import features as well as Dataflows which allow you to set up scheduled imports from your current system. It's also a product in development, so there might be some features that are still lacking. However, it is the exact same database used by Dynamics 365 so anything people have done in Dynamics for a decade can be done in CDS, it just might take a little more digging.

---
Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post answered your question! If my post was helpful please consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @mdhashim 

The biggest reason to use CDS is that it allows you to create Model-driven apps, which are a much faster way to create a solution than canvas apps. CDS also appears to be the cornerstone product to the Power Platform going forward, and the more your data is stored in CDS the more you can take advantage of all the Microsoft products, like AI Builder.

They also provide end users much more power at a much lower entry point than either SharePoint or SQL. So users in your organizations can have a tool that's more powerful than SharePoint lists and easier to use than SQL Server.

The cons are mostly to do with data migration and legacy systems, as is usually the case with any data storage change. But CDS comes with both one time import features as well as Dataflows which allow you to set up scheduled imports from your current system. It's also a product in development, so there might be some features that are still lacking. However, it is the exact same database used by Dynamics 365 so anything people have done in Dynamics for a decade can be done in CDS, it just might take a little more digging.

---
Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post answered your question! If my post was helpful please consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

Microsoft
Microsoft

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Users online (13,084)