cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coco_PowerApp
Microsoft
Microsoft

Why PowerApps does not support the gateway to connect Azure SQL database?

PowerBI could use gateway to connect Azure SQL database. (Even though I know that is not necessary.)

So, why the PowerApps does not allow the gateway to connect the Azure SQL database?

It looks supported as it is mentioned here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-onprem-faq

Question: Do I need a gateway for cloud data sources, such as Azure SQL Database?

Answer: No, services can generally connect to cloud data sources without a gateway. However, you might need a data gateway if your data sources are behind a firewall, require a VPN, or are on virtual networks.

That's totally the same as our condition. We have the data sources which are behind a firewall, required a VPN, and we have the virtual networks. But when I do this it give me this error, please see the attachment.

The same gateway we used in PowerBI without any issue, but in PowerApps, it give me this error.

"The 'authType' connection parameter is null or invalid for the no-premise connection request"

Please help me to understand why PowerApps can't using gateway to connect Azure SQL database.

Thank you so much. Please let me know is there any workaround if I insist to use the gateway?

1 REPLY 1
timl
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Coco_PowerApp 

The most likely cause of this will be because the on-premise gateway doesn't support AAD authentication to SQL Server.

If you try to connect to your Azure SQL Server through the gateway using SQL Server authentication, does that work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,709)