cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coco_PowerApp
Microsoft
Microsoft

Why PowerApps does not support the gateway to connect Azure SQL database?

PowerBI could use gateway to connect Azure SQL database. (Even though I know that is not necessary.)

So, why the PowerApps does not allow the gateway to connect the Azure SQL database?

It looks supported as it is mentioned here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-onprem-faq

Question: Do I need a gateway for cloud data sources, such as Azure SQL Database?

Answer: No, services can generally connect to cloud data sources without a gateway. However, you might need a data gateway if your data sources are behind a firewall, require a VPN, or are on virtual networks.

That's totally the same as our condition. We have the data sources which are behind a firewall, required a VPN, and we have the virtual networks. But when I do this it give me this error, please see the attachment.

The same gateway we used in PowerBI without any issue, but in PowerApps, it give me this error.

"The 'authType' connection parameter is null or invalid for the no-premise connection request"

Please help me to understand why PowerApps can't using gateway to connect Azure SQL database.

Thank you so much. Please let me know is there any workaround if I insist to use the gateway?

1 REPLY 1
timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @Coco_PowerApp 

The most likely cause of this will be because the on-premise gateway doesn't support AAD authentication to SQL Server.

If you try to connect to your Azure SQL Server through the gateway using SQL Server authentication, does that work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (3,192)