cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halifaxious
Resolver II
Resolver II

change default presentation field for look-up table

I have a look-up table, Profit Centres which has a the standard Name field, a custom Alias field and a calculated Fullname field (Name & "-" & Alias). When Profit Centre is a look-up on a form for another table (e.g. Payments), the form field displays the 'Profit Centre'.Name value. I'd like it to display the Fullname value.  Is there a way to do this?

Note: I've already adjusted my Profit Centre look-up view so that Fullname shows when the user searches. But once the user has chosen the Profit Centre they want, they are unable to see the Fullname anymore-- only Name is displayed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HSheild
Super User
Super User

Hi @halifaxious , only the “Primary” field for a Table will show as the value in a lookup field. The “Primary” field is a really important consideration when designing model-driven apps for this reason.

In your situation I would look at making “Name” (primary field) the full name value and have it automatically set through a Business Rule based on the existing “Alias” field and a new field called “Short Name”. Get rid of the existing calculated fullname field.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HSheild
Super User
Super User

Hi @halifaxious , only the “Primary” field for a Table will show as the value in a lookup field. The “Primary” field is a really important consideration when designing model-driven apps for this reason.

In your situation I would look at making “Name” (primary field) the full name value and have it automatically set through a Business Rule based on the existing “Alias” field and a new field called “Short Name”. Get rid of the existing calculated fullname field.

View solution in original post

There's a small snag with using a Business Rule to generate the primary field: there's no option to concatenate fields in the Set Field Value box. I seem to recall that we used to be able to enter a formula, but perhaps that was not for text field?  Here's what I see:

halifaxious_0-1629559320594.png

Then I created a cloud flow that runs whenever a record is created or changed. But since it runs after the Save action, it's results don't show up unless the user refreshes the screen. That's bad UX, so not a good solution.

Finally, I tried an Active Workflow (new thing for me).  That does exactly what I need. (But ooof! that interface!)

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (3,256)