cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
JenniferK
Advocate II
Advocate II

dependency in wrong direction

Hi All,

 

I've got 2 solutions:

  • Common Tables
  • My App

My App depends on Common Tables.  Common Tables does not depend on My App. In my dev environment, they are working fine.

 

I exported them and tried to install them in my test environment. I attempted to install Common Tables first but I received a missing dependency error. Here are the details:

JenniferK_0-1646230999608.png

What bothers me about the above is that all the items it says that it requires are part of My App and each of them is not required by the item in the "Required by" column, but instead requires the item in that column.

i.e. Facility (My App) requires Organization Structure (Common Tables) not the other way around.

 

When I look directly at the dependencies for the Organization Structure table, this is what I see:

JenniferK_1-1646231440990.pngJenniferK_2-1646231537441.png

 

So why does my test environment think Common Tables is dependent on My App?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @JenniferK ,

 

It looks like you have added lookups to a number of your entities in your Common Tables solution that are in your My App solution.  Now, since you have never deployed the Common Tables solution to the test environment without these columns existing in the Dataverse on those tables, when you export the solution and bring to the test environment, the columns already exist (therefore creating the dependency).  

 

You would actually need to have two different development environments with the Common Tables (without the fields from the Facility, etc.) existing at all in that environment and then promote this to your test environment as a managed solution.  You will not have this problem with the dependency in this case because there would be no columns for the Facility on the common tables...

 

The 2nd development environment would import the Common Tables solution as a managed solution and develop your app in that environment and add the additional tables and lookups to the common tables etc.  

 

Finally you would export the solutions from both these separate environments and import them as managed solutions to your test environment.

 

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Prakash4691
Super User
Super User

Hi @JenniferK ,

It looks like there is a relationship exist between facility and organizational structure entity.

 

Check whether facility entity has been included in your common table solution.

 

If it is first time you are deploying in test environment make sure to add all the components of custom entity.

 

 

Regards,

Prakash

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @JenniferK ,

 

It looks like you have added lookups to a number of your entities in your Common Tables solution that are in your My App solution.  Now, since you have never deployed the Common Tables solution to the test environment without these columns existing in the Dataverse on those tables, when you export the solution and bring to the test environment, the columns already exist (therefore creating the dependency).  

 

You would actually need to have two different development environments with the Common Tables (without the fields from the Facility, etc.) existing at all in that environment and then promote this to your test environment as a managed solution.  You will not have this problem with the dependency in this case because there would be no columns for the Facility on the common tables...

 

The 2nd development environment would import the Common Tables solution as a managed solution and develop your app in that environment and add the additional tables and lookups to the common tables etc.  

 

Finally you would export the solutions from both these separate environments and import them as managed solutions to your test environment.

 

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

I never included any components from My App in Common Tables. But I was developing both of them in the same dev environment. And My App does have lookups to Common Tables. 

 

I did a whole lot of "unbuilding" to get rid of all the dependencies. Then I moved Common Tables to another dev environment. Then I reset my original dev env and installed Common Tables as a managed solution. After that, I rebuilt My App with the necessary lookups. Everything behaves properly now and I can install managed versions of Common Tables and My App into my test env without problems.

 

The entire situation was surprising to me since it's not something that we're warned against doing-- or at least not in a way that was obvious to me. I hope that my experience saves others from frustration and wasted time. I also hope that MS updates their docs to help users avoid this situation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (4,446)