cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
indiranoppe
Frequent Visitor

how do I create a scheduling tool that proposes the available times

Universal resource scheduling is a great tool, but unfortunately my employer doesn't want to invest in field service or project service. So I am now looking for a way to develop this myself.

I work in the energy sector. Our sellers therefore visit customers to compare the rates. To reach the customers, our call agents contact the customers for an appointment. I think it is imperative that this goes smoothly without having to search long for an available time. Before I started creating my own CRM via model driven apps, we worked with Mircosoft Bookings. This tool then contained a flow for further processing. However, we notice that the call agents really do not take travel times into account and because we now want to switch to a complete CRM system, the old ways are no longer really useful. Currently there is a web resource in the model driven app with the link of Microsoft bookings and this is how agreements are made. The tricky part is that the call agents still have to enter the hour themselves because clicking on Microsoft bookings does not transfer the hour to the form.

So in concrete terms, I must have a tool to display the free hours and a retrieval of the appointment for the selected date and time to calculate the travel time. I've made this in power apps for the most part and with success. But then again I have the problem that we work with external users and my employer does not want to purchase a license per call agents for power apps.

10 REPLIES 10
anupam8555
Helper V
Helper V

Hello @indiranoppe ,

Your question is of solution architecting. Here is what's my suggestions by my preferences. 

• Use Microsoft Power Apps Portal - this would be again a kind of financial constraint for employer but portal gives some features that meets your requirements and you don't need spend any other development cost. 
  • Build a custom portal connected with CRM
    • You can choose Angular , react or .Net 
    • As field service provides features to send invites to contacts , you can create custom fields to store access details of external users
    • For Authentication you can leverage S2S authentication between CRM & Portal - This would again depend on your solution structures and layers. 

If you want to deep dive more , please drop a message.

Thanks

Anupam

(Please like/resolve if it helps you)

EricRegnier
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @indiranoppe,

You can build this in Dataverse with Power Automate, but it might cost you more at the end to built it from scratch then to use and configure the 1st party apps (i.e. Field Service and URS) if you consider development effort, maintenance cost, opportunity cost, etc. On the other hand, if you think you only need a small set of these features, it might be simpler to re-built them on Dataverse and save on the monthly licensing costs. Just ensure you do the proper analysis on cost, often times, using the 1st party apps are cheaper on the long run.

Note that Power Apps Portals is meant for end-users not your internal users/employees. I would try not to go the complete customization route like angular because then it default some of the purposes of leveraging the Power Platform.

Hope this helps!

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Not sure if this is any help, but URS is now supposed to be available for Customer Service (not just Field or Project Service), this is meant to have happened around the time they changed the Service Scheduling to the using bookable resources etc (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/common-scheduler/schedule-anything-with-universal-resou...)

EricRegnier
Super User II
Super User II

Actually it's available with any Dynamics 365 (Sales, Marketing, Field Service, CS) app license 🙂 They way you install it (unless it changed recently) is via Field Service app, but then you uninstall the Field Service solutions.

I have Universal sccheduling but the moment that i want to book i get the error that i don't have a license. I also don't have CS

anupam8555
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @indiranoppe ,

Microsoft does not provide featuer of Universal Resource Schduling with licences of Fields services. You need to purchase URS addon to use URS. You can contact your Microsoft partner or support representative for purchasing. 

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks

Anupam

(Please like/resolve if it really helps you.)

I don't have a microsoft partner or so. I learned en set up everything by myself. I have looked on google for the add-on or URS license but no luck.

I don't mind to set it up. No idea how ik must begin but i loved to learn more. 

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You can actually also get a trail o URS, but you need to contact Microsoft to get it setup (even your partner if you have one would need to).

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (84,591)