cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

how to connect Powerapp controls to sharepoint columns after form is designed

Preface:

I am new to Powerapps.  I have spent a lot of time reading for an answer to my questions, but I cannot find it. 

Background:

I created a Powerapp in the canvas.

I have several "Controls" and "Inputs" 

-Text

- Dropdowns

-Combobox

- etc

I have the powerapp form connected to several data sources on my SharePoint online environment 

- Lookup information

- Cascading Drop Downs

Now that my form is function correctly I have created a sharepoint list and published to form to that list.

- I have not added a column for every field of data I want to capture in my power app

- When I add the columns to my list, do they have to be the same type as in the power app?

i.e.  If my power app is a combobox, does my sharepoint list have to be a combobox?

My Question:

How do I connect all the controls and inputs from the powerapp to the sharepoint list in order to 

a) create a new item in the sharepoint list

b) pass all the data I have captured in the form into the sharepoint list to populate a record?

Thank you in advance for all your links to appropriate threads, videos, and direct solutions!

Bradley 

Thank you so much in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @cgriese0310 

All of your questions can be answered by allowing PowerApps to create your app from scratch.  Go to the web page make.powerapps.com and select the SharePoint option from the Start from data section. Annotation 2020-05-11 115151.jpg You will need the URL of your SharePoint list so copy that first. PowerApps will create an entire app based on the data in your list and it will include a gallery screen for seeing all of the rows in the list, a view screen that will show you the details of the selected row and an edit screen for modifying the columns in that row.  By looking at the various properties of the controls and icons, you can learn how to recreate these elements in a blank or new app. 

There are two ways to add items to a list.  If the field is added to an edit form, a card will be created containing the control for inputting data.  The card itself has an Update property that will capture the value of the control inside when the SubmitForm() function is executed.  The second way is to use the Patch() function to input data.  The elements of the Patch() function are the SharePoint list, the record being modified and the fields being modified.  For more information about the Patch() function see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-patch 

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Users online (36,632)