cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sukie_y
Helper II
Helper II

when update solution directly and when clone a patch?

Hi guys,

I know that updating solution can do everything include deleting a component, and clone a patch can not delete component from solution.

Is that the only difference between Update a solution and Clone a patch?

According to the MS doc,

Using clone a patch and clone solution to update a solution isn't recommended because it limits team development and increases complexity when storing your solution in a source control system. For information about how to update a solution, see Update a solution.

But there are few blogs that said clone a patch make solution clean, so I am a little confused, when should I use Update a solution and when should I use Clone a Patch? Are there some special use cases?

Any answer or web resources are appreciated!

Best Regards,

- sukie

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @sukie_y,

Clone solution is an operation used to merge a patch(es) into your main solution. Cloning is performed in the dev environment not in prod. You can then export an updated versoin of your main solution to upstream environments.

Patch is a mechanism to create a smaller solution from an existing solution generally for hotfix purposes. You can import a patch into upstream environments (e.g. Prod). While patches are present in dev, you cannot make further changes to the main solution.

Hope this clarifies 🙂

View solution in original post

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @sukie_y ,

@EricRegnier is spot on, another good article that discusses in some detail patching scenarios along with updating a solution here.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @sukie_y,

Clone solution is an operation used to merge a patch(es) into your main solution. Cloning is performed in the dev environment not in prod. You can then export an updated versoin of your main solution to upstream environments.

Patch is a mechanism to create a smaller solution from an existing solution generally for hotfix purposes. You can import a patch into upstream environments (e.g. Prod). While patches are present in dev, you cannot make further changes to the main solution.

Hope this clarifies 🙂

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @sukie_y ,

@EricRegnier is spot on, another good article that discusses in some detail patching scenarios along with updating a solution here.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

@EricRegnier 

Thank you very much! The difference of Clone a solution and Clone a patch is what you said. Thank you!

@dpoggemann

Hi  Thank you !!!

Just the first sentence in that doc made me understand the difference 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (3,170)