Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Re: Truly No-Code Solution for Saving Photos from PowerApps using Flow

@haniel wrote:

Hi @spg-john-liu,

Thanks for the feedback.  I did have a look at your article and agree that there are several ways to address similar needs.  However, I will challenge your statement of "starting  with this from Paul's blog and went back to level 1".  Some users who are non-technical will never go beyond level 1.  And you may find that for tools such as Flow, that group represents the majroity.  Therefore, it is important to provide them with options, even if they are not as advanced as some of the other possible solutions.

I agree that we need to provide people with options that we've found but the bigger looming issue is why the heck didn't MS PowerApps team think about adding in this functionality to the regular editor? You have Camera, File Upload, Pen Controls etc. and absolutely no easy way to put the files into a shared storage location without jumping through these hoops. That type of an oversight is kind of hilarious, Office 365 is all about teamwork, PowerApps is all for easy app building for accessing data and then you give the people creating apps no way to easily send files around into Sharepoint, OneDrive, etc. 

I'm very glad people are coming up with these fixes but in reality Microsoft has dropped the ball on this one and need to get PowerApps caught up to their other products integration to Sharepoint and their other Office365 services (infopath did it pretty well) so it can be truly the one product end solution to fit multiple roles. 

Right now it feels like a nice beta test.

Super User
Super User

Hi @haniel,

I'm gettig this error when I am trying to save a picture:

Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Create_file' inputs at line '1' and column '1729': 'The template language function 'dataUriToBinary' expects its parameter to be formatted as a valid data URI. The provided value '0' was not formatted correctly. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions#dataUriToBinary for usage details.'.

I ran the app and tried to save a picture. Everything seemed to work as there were no error messages. I checked my folder for the picture and it wasn't there. I checked the flow online and it said it failed with the above error.

Super User
Super User

To add, it was working properly before this. I was able to save about 12 images.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

It's working now, but strangely PowerApps wanted me to use the flow SavePhoto_2.Run over SavePhoto.Run. Any idea why? I only have one flow called SavePhoto in my data.

xKazuya
Level: Powered On

Hi haniel, 

thx for you tutorial on this topic. I ran into a problem creating the workflow. I can't edit the file name field because there's no dynamic content available.

Many thanks in advance, keep up the good work! 15-11-_2017_12-07-18.png

markmcl5020

Just what I was looking for.  Looking forward to deploy for our project managers

haniel
Level 8

Hi @ShanP,

One of the limitations I find with PowerApps and Flow at this time is that once a Flow is defined and you make changes to it, PowerApps sometimes fails to pick up on them and you need to rebuild the Flow in order to get it to work.  Hopefully Microsoft will have a solution for it soon.

ajs1

Guys, 

Any updates on this? 

The flow creation still doesnt allow you to add FileName.... (No Dynamic content available)

Please help.

Super User
Super User

@ajs1 wrote:

Guys, 

Any updates on this? 

The flow creation still doesnt allow you to add FileName.... (No Dynamic content available)

Please help.

I'm not sure what you mean by not allowing you to add a file name, it does allow you to rename the file immediately as long as your flow is setup to gather it from PowerApps.

In our flow for saving images we have 3 different DynamicContent "Variables" and they all work fine to name the file sequentially and even save to a job specific folder. 

What specifically isn't working for you when trying to pass a file name to the flow?

ajs1

I got it now..... Need to Read moro thoroughly..... The tric was that I need to create rthe flow and choose power apps first, then add action OneDrive Business. Then I had to click ask in power apps twice for both parameters. Save. Edit again and instead of copy paste dataUri I actually had to type in the popup screen in Expression Field and then click OK to add.....

Thank you.!!!!!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, August 21st at 8am PDT

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

SixthImage

Power Summit Australia 2019

August 20-23rd 2019

Users Online
Currently online: 172 members 3,796 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: