Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stevel
Level: Powered On

ipa file

Hi,

Working to deploy our first PowerApp application to our healthcare agency ~800 users. 

We use Okta as our identity manager and Okta Mobile Management as our MDM solution.

I can easily deploy my PA app as a web app available to staff's mobile devices and when they run the app it works and is authenticated by Okta. However, as easy as that is, I want our staff to access the apps I write via the native PowerApp clients (iOS or Android), not as a web app. Some of the features that I want to leverage are native phone features like camera, gps, and especially pen input (signatures).

Okta support explains that for iOS we need the ipa file and for Android the application ID from the play store. When I searched the forum for ipa, I see this one thread of over a year ago explaining that no, the ipa file for the PA native client is not available: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/ipa-and-apk-files/td-p/4994 

Of course, I'm hoping that the answer has changed since then or someone has a way for us that might work with Okta.

I've already posted it to the idea box:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Identity-Management-for-PowerApps/idi-p/58531#M2...

I'm working with Okta directly but also hoping someone here has an idea...Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Stevel

Re: ipa file

Here is the response from PA support:

"At this time we do not support Mobile Device Management at this time, but it is on the backlog. We don’t have a timeline for this solution yet.

I have also confirmed that we cannot make the IPA file available for iOS and  Android application id should be public information."

Not what we wanted to hear, of course, but clear and quick!

...Steve

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Stevel,

Could you please explain a bit for

"

I want our staff to access the apps I write via the native PowerApp clients (iOS or Android), not as a web app. 

"

Apps built within PowerApps would be only available through the PowerApps Player on the Mobile device. If you know the corresponding AppId, then it is possible to open the App in Web App mode (Open in Device Browser).

It is recommended to create a support ticket if you would like to request the App package file.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Stevel

Hi Michael,

I submitted the support ticket as suggested - ticket number is: 117111417153400

BTW, here is the Okta documentation for what I need to do to add the PowerApps native mobile client apps into our Okta Mobile App Store:

https://support.okta.com/help/Documentation/Knowledge_Article/The-Mobile-App-Store-253588018

From that aritcle: 

Once uploaded, your end users can update the app from the Mobile App Store in Okta Mobile.

End-User Experience for Updated Apps on iOS

When an end user goes to the Okta Mobile App Store, a section titled Update displays all apps with available updates.

1. View the Update section.
  2. Tap the Update button of the app.
  3. After the updated app installs, your app icon moves from the Update section to the Installed Applications page. Screenshot

UpdateApps_212x374

App Security for iOS

Apps installed through the Okta Mobile App Store are automatically secured through OMM. The apps remain secured as long as the device is enrolled in OMM.

We want:

- the compliance with HIPAA rules that the Okta phone/tablet policies give us, 

- the ease of deployment of using the Okta mobile App Store for our user base

- the native app features like pen input that are only available when my app operates from within the PowerApp Native client app

- the user interface advantages found when running from within the PowerApp shell vs. as a web app

Thanks...Steve

Stevel

Here is the response from PA support:

"At this time we do not support Mobile Device Management at this time, but it is on the backlog. We don’t have a timeline for this solution yet.

I have also confirmed that we cannot make the IPA file available for iOS and  Android application id should be public information."

Not what we wanted to hear, of course, but clear and quick!

...Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

Follow PowerApps on Twitter

Stay Up-to-Date by following PowerApps on Twitter

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

Users Online
Currently online: 72 members 4,102 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: