cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NEPatton
Level 8

Re: Licensing : beyond shock and stupor

@Pstork1 Thanks for all the good info and positive outlook.  I still have to scrap my favorite PowerApps, but I'll try harder to remember the good stuff.  I still really like Powerapps - I'm just upset that I can't use it for everything that I want to. Smiley Happy

Special_K
Level: Powered On

@NEPatton - I'm curious about the apps you built to search large SharePoint lists and to make the links pretty. I'm getting ready to build an app for what's currently a 16k record SPO list and growing quickly. We were looking at moving the data to SQL before the new license announcement but there's no way my company will pay for the additional costs at that price point. I have some ideas on how to work around some of the limitations but being able to search a large list, I have not figured out yet. 

Could you point me in the right direction? 

Super User
Super User

I agree with Frederick.  To me the Microsoft "Do Nothing" approach will stifle citizen development, which Satya Nadella discussed at length in his keynote a month ago (See it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_KxHhAIUXc), and sends a message of it's own that Microsoft isn't listening.  It's rather counter-productive as it will push customers away.  I'm no expert, but I suspect that lost customers are worse than lost opportunities as the cost of keeping them is less than the cost of winning new ones.

For me the clock is ticking for Microsoft.  Nobody really understands the licensing, it doesn't seem to work for any particular audience and it runs counter to their "empowering everybody on the planet to do more" mission statement.  As yet there has been radio silence from their end.

Hey @rorybi ,

To me, they understand the new pricing quite clearly. I just had (litteraly 10 minutes ago) an end-of-sprint demo on an app we're building that went like this :

Me : Guys, we have to break a bit of bad news to you. The licensing changed a few weeks ago. It's now gonna cost 10$/user per month

Client : Oh...!

(akward silence)

Client : Let me come back to you on this...

Oh she understood something, that's for sure ! Smiley Tongue

NEPatton
Level 8

@Special_K  My Sharepoint lists are <2k rows right now...  So I don't really think I have any good tricks to help you. Smiley Sad  My big lists are in SQL right now! Smiley Mad

The client came back to me. The project is cancelled... Smiley Sad

MS Staff ( @HemantG , @GregHurlmanMSFT , @TopShelf-MSFT , @Audrie-MSFT ...), please press onto the rest of the team that this is actually serious. We're loosing clients left and right by the day.

I'm not saying the current plans are "bad" on their own, but we need to complement them with some sort of middle-ground for Azure/SQL/Http projects or we'll soon be left with a very sad and gimped down version of this great product.

NEPatton
Level 8

@FredericForest Sorry to hear this, though we saw it coming.

I've instructed my team to begin organizing all of the data we've collected using PowerApps/SQL into some Excel sheets.  Some of the data just won't make sense without the interface - so we're just going to lose it.  I plan to drop the PowerApps license that we purchased for my group - now with no plan to expand these Apps outside of my department.  I've really been left with no other choice. Smiley Sad

JohnP
Level 8

@FredericForest wrote:

The client came back to me. The project is cancelled... Smiley Sad

MS Staff ( @HemantG , @GregHurlmanMSFT , @TopShelf-MSFT , @Audrie-MSFT ...), please press onto the rest of the team that this is actually serious. We're loosing clients left and right by the day.

I'm not saying the current plans are "bad" on their own, but we need to complement them with some sort of middle-ground for Azure/SQL/Http projects or we'll soon be left with a very sad and gimped down version of this great product.

Agreed 100% We just lost 2 customer prospects because their license cost will more than quadruple for them if they buy our apps. If you're an internal business developer and happy with sharepoint lists PowerApps is fine. Otherwise you're screwed.

OneThing
Level 8

I can confirm the same. We had 20 New PowerApp's in the pipeline, all within different stages of development.

All bar 1 are cancelled indefinitely.

We also had a side project of farming out our experience to other non profits. Again cancelled.

I fail to see any non cash rich business which can run this model.

I was going to implement a system for a small Business with just 11 users. This was going to be small multi app system to replace a few of their processes, but would now add $3360/ year to their business. Small for most, but them going to a dedicated SAAS model to replace all their back end systems would be half this price. 

Madness.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 229 members 5,128 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: