cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnP
Level 8

Re: New PowerApps and Flow Licensing coming October 1, 2019

The law changes without notice. MS recommended in june to split our main app into smaller focused apps for performance reasons. We were also recommended to move to either CDS or SQL for the same reasons. We did both and invested resources into this. One month later they dump this news on us. Our smallest customer - 100 users - will need to cough up a minimum of 12.000 USD per year IF we manage to squeeze everything into one app - 48.000 USD if not. Outrageous.

If creating 50 dummy apps and using an SQL elastic pool (with 50 idle databases) can get us around this I have no qualms about it.

I have another scenario that I would like to discuss.

Let say I have a canvas app that are primarly used on PC's (tablet mode, horizontal) and there is also a demand for a less feature packed mobile app (mobile mode, vertical). That means two PowerApps connecting to the same data source (Azure SQL).

Will that mean that I need two $10/app/user/month licenses?

Super User
Super User

My understanding is that the license is actually per 'business process' which may be served by up to two Apps, so I guess if you need a full fledged desktop and cut-down mobile app, that would be permissable under a single 'App'/User/Month subscription. Though how that will be policed and who defines what counts as a 'business process' will be interesting to see.

Thanks!

I have so many discussions around this with my customers rigth now and there are so many things that are unclear. :-/

I hope you are correct :-)

Super User
Super User

@MagnusGöransson wrote:

Thanks!

I have so many discussions around this with my customers rigth now and there are so many things that are unclear. :-/

I hope you are correct :-)

If you are at the planning stage it may pay to accelerate your development to get 'minimum viable product' apps in place (using the Azure SQL Connector) before October 1st so they are grandfathered in for 5 years. You then have breathing space to evaluate other products/technologies (we're investigating Progressive Web Apps for cross-platform, cross form-factor apps that are easy to deploy and can access on-device features like camera and gps) that may offer a value-proposition closer to the old licensing for PowerApps.

Super User
Super User

The per App license can cover an app that contains two applications, so for that scenario I think you should be fine with one $10 license per user using either app.  But remember if you have 4 Apps like that you are already at the same cost as the standalone license at $40 per user/month and that covers unlimited numbers of Apps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
inverse70
Level: Powered On

Hi All 

This is such a disaster we are now starting to deploy PowerApps and these changes have now put the brakes on our initiative

I do have a question if anyone could clarify. 

We have about 15 existing apps that use Azure SQL connectors, etc. I understand this will hold for 5 years before turning into premium. All my Office 365 user have access to these apps. So I have 5 years to use these apps before making any decision. Do I still need to pay on top of my Office 365 licenses for all my user to have access to these apps i.e. 40USD per user during the 5 years? Or does the Office 365 license cover user access for the next 5 years while the connector changes from standard to premium?

Super User
Super User

If the Apps fall under the exemption that grandfathers them in then you do not need premium licenses for any of your users to access and use those existing apps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
PowerApps Staff dileeps
PowerApps Staff

For 5 year grandfathering question, you can find the information here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-flow-licensing-faq#how-does-the-chan...

Also most of these questions are covered in FAQ here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-flow-licensing-faq

JohnP
Level 8

@dileeps 

That FAQ leaves a lot of questions to be answered as you can see in this thread. It seems MS screwed a lot of ISV's and Business App creators with this change. Lesson learned.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 218 members 5,146 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: