cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Simple Ways to Open Corrupt Excel file Without any Backup

My excel file goes corrupted and I didn't have any backup. I am not a technical person. So, please suggest me a simple way to repair and recover the excel file.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

When attempting to open a corrupt file, Excel automatically starts File Recovery mode to repair the file. But, if the recovery mode doesn’t start, try Microsoft Excel’s built-in ‘Open and Repair’ feature to manually repair the file.
Way 1: Repair the Corrupt Excel File

1. Open a Blank workbook in Excel, and then click File > Open.
  2. In the Open window, browse and select the corrupt file.
  3.  Click the arrow that is beside the Open tab, and select Open and Repair.
  4.  Implement one of the following:
  •   Click Repair tab. (This is to recover as much data as possible.)
  •   Click Extract Data tab. (This is to recover values and formulas from the Excel file if the repair process fails to recover the entire data.)

Way 2: Disable the Protected View Feature

Some Excel users have reported about turning off the ‘protected view’ feature in Excel to open a corrupt file. You can also try to disable this feature and open the file. To do so, follow these steps:

Step 1: Open a blank Excel file, click File > Options.

Step 2: In the Excel Options window, select Trust Center, and then click Trust Center Settings.

Step 3: Click OK.

Now check if you can open the corrupt file.

If the above manual methods fail, repair the corrupt Excel file by using third-party software solutions. The software helps repair Excel (XLS and XLSX) files easily and effectively.

To know more methods, you may take help of this informative blog-https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/simple-way-to-open-corrupt-excel-file-without-any-backup/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Users online (13,914)