cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Marius
Level: Powered On

Place PCF on form without relationship to an attribute

I am currenly evaluating how to replace an existing web resource based solution with something based upon PCF.

The webresource has the following feature:

On account form it is possible to edit certain user-level attributes regarding that account. Those attributes are written to an additional entity under the hood without user's notice.

I did already implement those CRUD operations based on webapi sample und I am now puzzled on how to get that thing on form. Since it is not replacing an existing field on account, I wonder how you can put it there without the need for a source property.

Am I missing something. Is "unbound" placement of components not supported (yet)? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ben-thompson
Level 8

Re: Place PCF on form without relationship to an attribute

You aren't missing anything - at the moment you need to add a field to the form and then change the control type the field uses to the appropriate custom control. While it sounds bad you can use any existing field provided you don't write anything within the PCF component to pass a value back to the page as a whole.

Personally I just add an empty multline text field attribute to the entities I want the field to appear in (I have the advantage in that users need to specify in the admin entity which entity the PCF needs to be displayed on I do  programmatically add the field to the entity as the user adds it to the list of entities the item needs to be displayed on). 

View solution in original post

PowerApps Staff HemantG
PowerApps Staff

Thanks Ben. Unbound custom controls are not yet exposed in the preview and the workaround is to use the dummy binding without  writing back. One more thing, custom components are not 100% html web resource replacement (no XRM access) as design philosophy for controls is to be environment agnostic. Please review and evaluate the current capabilitites before committing to projects. 

hemant

4 REPLIES 4
ben-thompson
Level 8

You aren't missing anything - at the moment you need to add a field to the form and then change the control type the field uses to the appropriate custom control. While it sounds bad you can use any existing field provided you don't write anything within the PCF component to pass a value back to the page as a whole.

Personally I just add an empty multline text field attribute to the entities I want the field to appear in (I have the advantage in that users need to specify in the admin entity which entity the PCF needs to be displayed on I do  programmatically add the field to the entity as the user adds it to the list of entities the item needs to be displayed on). 

PowerApps Staff HemantG
PowerApps Staff

Thanks Ben. Unbound custom controls are not yet exposed in the preview and the workaround is to use the dummy binding without  writing back. One more thing, custom components are not 100% html web resource replacement (no XRM access) as design philosophy for controls is to be environment agnostic. Please review and evaluate the current capabilitites before committing to projects. 

hemant

Marius

Hi @ben-thompson , @HemantG 

thank you for your replies. I will follow your advice. Is it realistic if unbound controls will be available once PCF hits the GA?

davallen

Is there a way to remove the line under the field attribute? I have a PCF that replaces the textbox, but it always shows a line underneath. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,141)