cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AndrewLyMVP
Level 8

Working with Datasets and dataset parameters - API enhancements

So i love how with standard field types, if i want to get a value I can do this, and it gets picked up by vs code:

this._value = context.parameters.INPUTFIELDNAME.raw;

With datasets though I need to do this:

valuePara.textContent = gridParam.records[currentRecordId].getFormattedValue("INPUTFIELDNAMESTR");

It would be nice if the API allowed me to do this:

context.dataset[i].INPUTFIELDNAME.raw

I know it's a minor thing, but if you look at that dataset example.. there's alot of code just to sort columns, then grab a record, then build a grid:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/component-framework/sample-controls/data-set-gr...

I'm thinking we can probably replace several functions and achieve the same with a single method that looks like this:

/** pseudocode **/

context.dataset.sort(sortonthiscolumn);
for(int i=0; i<dataset.length; i++){ console.log (context.dataset[i].columnname.value); }

Does that make sense or am I just being lazy? 😄

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MannyGrewal
Level: Powered On

Re: Working with Datasets and dataset parameters - API enhancements

Hi Andrew, 

My understanding is that getSortedColumnsOnView() is just an optional method. It just removes system columns and sorts the columns. You can choose to skip it.

It seems that dataset is a dictionary object, rather than an Array object. However, it is also logical to query data records by GUID rather than by index (1,2,3...N)

The SDK does give you a list of the all the GUIDs through the DataSet.sortedRecordIds() method which you can use to traverse the whole Dictionary like below

for(let currentRecordId of DataSet.sortedRecordIds){

let name = DataSet.records[currentRecordId].getFormattedValue(columnItem.name);

}

I agree with you that DataSet's API can be refined bit more to make is easily consumable but there may be internal complexities in refactoring its collections. Hopefully better by GA.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MannyGrewal
Level: Powered On

Hi Andrew, 

My understanding is that getSortedColumnsOnView() is just an optional method. It just removes system columns and sorts the columns. You can choose to skip it.

It seems that dataset is a dictionary object, rather than an Array object. However, it is also logical to query data records by GUID rather than by index (1,2,3...N)

The SDK does give you a list of the all the GUIDs through the DataSet.sortedRecordIds() method which you can use to traverse the whole Dictionary like below

for(let currentRecordId of DataSet.sortedRecordIds){

let name = DataSet.records[currentRecordId].getFormattedValue(columnItem.name);

}

I agree with you that DataSet's API can be refined bit more to make is easily consumable but there may be internal complexities in refactoring its collections. Hopefully better by GA.

View solution in original post

AndrewLyMVP
Level 8

Given no more responses.. I will accept your solution sir Smiley LOL

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,721)