cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sureshkala
Level: Power Up

error MSB4057: The target "GetProjectOutputPath" does not exist i n the project.

I am getting this error in the last step of creating the solution package while executing the command 'msbuild'

after the step msbuild /t:restore

I have taken an existing code from PCF gallery and trying to use the same.

Attached is the screenshot of error 

"C:\Folder\DataSet\Solution\Solution.cdsproj" (default target) (1) ->
(ResolveAssemblyReferences target) ->
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\15.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targe
ts(2110,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Expected a file but got directory "C:\Folder\DataSet\Con
trol\out\controls\". If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. [C:\Folder\DataSet\Sol
ution\Solution.cdsproj]

"C:\Folder\DataSet\Solution\Solution.cdsproj" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Folder\DataSet\Control\PCF-DataSetDemo.pcfproj" (GetProjectOutputPath target) (2:4) ->
C:\Folder\DataSet\Control\PCF-DataSetDemo.pcfproj : error MSB4057: The target "GetProjectOutputPath" does not exist i
n the project.

1 Warning(s)
1 Error(s)

"

5 REPLIES 5
devendramsft
Level: Powered On

Re: error MSB4057: The target "GetProjectOutputPath" does not exist i n the project.

Can you try a restore on pcfproj?
1. Go to directory containing pcfproj.
2. msbuild /t:restore
3. Copy restore msbuild logs.
4. Go to directory contaning cdsproj & run msbuild.
5. If this failed again, paste logs from step 3 & step 4 on this post, for us to take a detailed look.

I am suspecting you have an older version of pcf msbuild package ( targets/props) but we can confirm with the logs.
PowerApps Staff HemantG
PowerApps Staff

Re: error MSB4057: The target "GetProjectOutputPath" does not exist i n the project.

hi @Sureshkala , were you able to resolve this ? If not can you please share the details as per instructions from @devendramsft above ?

hemant 

Sureshkala

Changing the configuration to this line has resolved the issue

PackageReference Include="Microsoft.PowerApps.MSBuild.Solution" Version="0.*"

before resolving it was like

PackageReference Include="Microsoft.PowerApps.MSBuild.Solution" Version="0.1.*"

Sureshkala

Hi Hemath,

Yes I was able to resolve this. Thanks for your follow up.

devendramsft
Level: Powered On

Yes. 

This seems like the right mitigation. Apparently, you have controls project (pcfproj) created from an older verison of CLI where we had 0.1* in our templates. cdsproj would have been created from a later version of CLI where we corrected it to 0.* in our templates. Now, cdsproj was getting build tools of version 0.3.* where pcfproj was still stuck at 0.1.*. 

We would add this to our doucmentation in trouble shooting steps & document breaking changes in build tools more descriptively. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 85 members 5,010 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: