cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rnelsch

Accessing PowerApp - New Users

I have an app that I've created with some developers.  We are on track for the app and it is looking good.  However, the hoops I have to jump through to get a new client access are ridiculous.  Also, it seems like I don't have a way to silo my data so that other clients can't access each other's information.  

Is there anyway to get my clients access without having to send them multiple emails, wait for their first login, and worry that they can make changes?  

I am willing to pay for professional help at this point, I really don't trust the guys that are creating this canvas app for me.  

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Although it will work, Power Apps really isn't designed for the scenario you are describing.  Its primarily designed to be a tool for developing apps that will be used by internal users who already have permissions to the data source.  You can share it with external users. But that does introduce additional steps since those users have to be given access to the hosting Office 365 tenant first.  That is where the emails come in, but you should be able to accomplish that with one email invitation rather than multiples.

In terms of creating silos for your data based on client.  There are some data sources that would be better for this than others.  For example, Dataverse has more robust and flexible security available than something like SharePoint.  Again, it was originally designed to provide a low code/no code solution for creating a better (mobile compliant) UI for data that the users already have access to.  Using it to produce an app to sell to external clients is possible, but as you've seen it has a number of challenges.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

What a heart breaker....totally crushing my spirit.  This whole process seems like I'm throwing money away with my developers.  But I get it, I should have been smarter about who I had develop this for me.  Is there anyway to convert this to another platform without having to re-do everything?  Somehow to export the code and start with maybe Salesforce or Amazon without having to start from scratch?  

None that I know of, nor do I think Salesforce or Amazon have anything similar as products.  One possibility to leverage what you already have is to look at using a Power Apps portal to surface your app.  Portals have a different licensing model that includes anonymous user access.  There is still licensing but no need to generate sharing invitations.  It may require some changes to the way you are doing your app, but a lot of it should still be usable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,178)