cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
consultantlk
Helper II
Helper II

Add multiple users to an environment

Hi there, we are trying to come up with an effective way to  add multiple users (over a 100)  to an environment at once and assign them all security roles. This is for training purposes. We want to achieve this by not having to manually add each and every user to the environment one at a time. Is there a way to create a security group, add all the members of an organization in the group and provide them access to the environment? Or is it possible to do it with a flow? Powershell? Please let me know. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @consultantlk ,

I'm afraid you could only add team members one by one in environment.

You could post your idea about batch setting users in environment team here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Ideas/ct-p/PA_Comm_Ideas

What's more, I notice that after you click "add existing user", click "all records", this will help you add users more quickly.

422 (2)_LI.jpg

423.PNG

If you do not have any other problems, could you make my answer as a solution?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @consultantlk ,

Do you want to assign multiple users permission of one environment?

Let you explain you the steps that you need to do:

1)create multiple azure accounts for these users in azure admin center: https://portal.azure.com

All the users accounts need to be in your talent.

You've created accounts for them, you do not need to do this step.

2)create a security role with the permission that you want in the environment  in power platform:https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com

Choose the environment that you want to assign permission

->settings

->teams

->security role

412.PNG

->New

->choose the permission that want these users have

413.PNG

3)create a team for these users in power platform:https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com

Choose the environment that you want to assign permission

->settings

->teams

41.PNG

->New

->create a new team

414.PNG

->refresh this page

->choose the team that you just created, add members to this team that you want them have the same permission

415_LI.jpg

4)after you successfully create team for these members, assign this team with the security role that you just created

choose the team name->manage roles

416.PNG

Choose the security role that you just created.

Then all the users in this group will have the permission of this security role.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your help @v-yutliu-msft. Creating a team is a good suggestion and will help us a lot with assigning security roles to multiple users, but I am also wondering if there is a way to add many users, almost about a 100, to an environment at once? We are trying to figure out other ways to do it, apart from going to https://www.admin.powerapps.com and adding them one at a time in my environment under the security tab. Please let me know if you know of a way. Thanks in advance.

Hi @consultantlk ,

I'm afraid you could only add team members one by one in environment.

You could post your idea about batch setting users in environment team here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Ideas/ct-p/PA_Comm_Ideas

What's more, I notice that after you click "add existing user", click "all records", this will help you add users more quickly.

422 (2)_LI.jpg

423.PNG

If you do not have any other problems, could you make my answer as a solution?

Thanks!

Best regards,

View solution in original post

richardcarrigan
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @consultantlk ,

I know this topic has already been marked as solved, but if you're still looking for a solution to this (or for anyone else looking for a solution to this), I wanted to provide an update.

Using Windows PowerShell 5.1.xxx, you can add users in bulk into any Power Platform environment. To do this, first create a CSV file with the email address of each user.

Next, make sure you are using Windows PowerShell 5.1.xxx by running the following command:

$PSVersionTable

If this returns any version other than 5.1.xxx, you will need to install or switch to Windows PowerShell version 5.1.xxx before continuing.

Once you've created the CSV file and confirmed that you're using Windows PowerShell 5.1.xxx, next you'll need to install the appropriate PowerApps modules by opening Windows PowerShell as an administrator and running the following commands:

Install-Module -Name Microsoft.PowerApps.Administration.PowerShell
Install-Module -Name Microsoft.PowerApps.PowerShell -AllowClobber

Once these modules have been installed successfully, you can then run the following PowerShell script to add the users into the environment:

# Add users to Power Platform environment
$CsvPath = '.\NewUsers.csv' # Replace with relative/absolute path to your CSV file
$PowerAppsEnvName = 'example' # Replace with your Power Platform environment name
$PowerAppsEnvGuid = (Get-AdminPowerAppEnvironment $PowerAppsEnvName).EnvironmentName

foreach($User in (Import-Csv -Path $CsvPath)) {
    $UserEmail = $User.'Email' # Replace 'Email' with the CSV column heading

Write-Output "Attempting to add $($UserEmail) to $($PowerAppsEnvName)..."

$UserId = (Get-AzADUser -ObjectId $UserEmail).Id

try {
        Add-AdminPowerAppsSyncUser -EnvironmentName $PowerAppsEnvGuid -PrincipalObjectId $UserId
        Write-Output "$($UserEmail) added to $($PowerAppsEnvName)!"
    }
    catch {
        Write-Output "$($UserEmail) is already a member of $($PowerAppsEnvName)."
    }
}

This script will not only attempt to add each user into your Power Platform environment, but will also let you know the result. Once complete, all new users should now be in your Power Platform environment.

Key Points Worth Noting:

• The PowerApps modules only work with Windows PowerShell 5.1.xxx (unfortunately)
  • You must run Windows PowerShell as an administrator
  • If you see an error related to the 'AcquireToken' method, double-check that you are running Windows PowerShell as an administrator (I've made this mistake!)

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,364)