cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaimé

App pass auto-assignment process

Hi all,

I'd like to understand the auto-assignment rules for app passes.

I understand these are automatically assigned by the platform as long as there are enough passes in the environment.

I am bascially trying to understand how PowerApps automatically distributes/prioritizes the passes assignment to users.

- When is the pass officially assigned - during the sharing process or during the first app access? 

- Can the passe be unassigned if the user does not access the app for a long time?

- Can we reassign pass to match reality (projected users/app shares vs. real users/app access)? 

- I do not see any message when trying to share an app even though I don't hav enough passes - when is the control applied and who sees the error message first?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jaimé,

The Per app license is assigned upom sharing an app with a user. To free up the license, you would need to unshare apps in that environment for a user.

You can reallocate your licenses among different environments to meet the usage needs. I don't believe you will see an error when sharing the app with the user when you're out of licenses, but the end user will experience one when trying to access the app.

More information is documented here

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jaimé,

The Per app license is assigned upom sharing an app with a user. To free up the license, you would need to unshare apps in that environment for a user.

You can reallocate your licenses among different environments to meet the usage needs. I don't believe you will see an error when sharing the app with the user when you're out of licenses, but the end user will experience one when trying to access the app.

More information is documented here

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

@ChrisPiasecki, thanks for the detailed info here, and quick follow up to your post. Are you saying the license will be auto-removed as soon as you unshare the app, meaning you don't also have to go to a user and remove it from there?

Is there any programmatic way to remove/add/remove/add when a user stops using the app within a given period? Kind of an "auto-scale" that recaptures the license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (1,308)