cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerekHurley
Helper I
Helper I

COE Best Practices: Should I use a service account?

I want to find out what are the best practices for setting up a centre of excellence (COE). Should I use a service account, different from my personal account, for our COE? For importing of all the COE starter kit components and then use of these. As far as I understand this has a few benefits:

1. You can give the service account all needed permissions, so none of the flows, canvas apps, etc will run into any issues.
  2. The COE will not be tied to an individual users account in case they leave the business 

Does anyone have experience with this and what would you say is the best practice, and why?

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

@jhall_IUH  

@jhall_IUH wrote:

this is where I start to wonder if I am talking to a liar, an idiot, or someone who is blind. 

Please leave personal insults out of your comments.

@jlindstrom I saw the Dataflex announcement.  I even wrote about it.

As an example for what I have designed our COE around, I had an emergency request for an application to calculate blood sugar ratios for Covid patients hit my desk at 4:30pm last Thursday.  While other Architects were arguing about how/where/why this might get built (before the following Monday), one of them fwd'd me the request, I wrote it, and published it out a fully functional version before 5PM that day.  THAT, is what building out a work stream to focus on rapid deployments gets you.  And while it isn't the solution to all problems, neither is building toward a storing optimized data in a RDB.

The argument of needing a structured data store, management, supportability, etc. are all valid...to a point.  But I use the analogy quite often of:

• why don't we all drive Semi-trucks? 
  • Because we don't need all of that overhead. 
  • How are you going to move your entire home in your Yaris?
  • I don't and I won't.  I'll hire movers.

These arguments around scalability and even "robust RDB" are only relevant when they become so.  The promise of low/no code is that you can potentially divorce your application from the constraints of data management to allow for deployment while optimized data storage is still in progress.  The applications designed during the Covid crisis are not (for the most part) storing data permanently within these containers.  These are transitionary applications designed to quickly adapt to daily changing workflows while ultimately (somewhere down the line) dumping this data into some other legacy repository.  The entire methodology of Model applications only seems to make sense when you have a highly static process within an Enterprise and are prepared to plan a rollout over the next year.

Why would I even worry about discussing data optimization on an application that may or may not ever roll out to users?  Or an application that impacts 10-12 users, or one that impacts the entire enterprise, but used very sporadically?  Why force a conversation about scalability before it is necessary?  That's the entire promise of these toolsets is that we can deploy on limited staff resources, then scale where needed.

Our applications all start w/ simple JSON storage (written by BAs).  As things move forward, we let the Data Analysts drive what components should be pulled out into searchable consumable content.  When we reach a level of maturity with that, we adapt the application (either BAs or Developers) to now write to the data store in a more formalized manner.  And finally, in almost every scenario, we copy that data off to other legacy platforms (by DBAs) for long term storage before removing it from our interim workflow data storage.  We always retain the possibility that we'll write data directly to a RDB, but it is a journey of choices, not a predetermined destination.

This allows deployment IN HOURS.  To walk into a meeting with an application loosely framed up before ever sitting down w/ the business.  To make changes during the meeting and still have a functional application.  It also drastically lowers the technical capability of someone who writes UI applications while giving clear hand-offs to more specialized staff.

THIS is the promise of low/no code near-term.  Focusing on Dataflex Pro/CDS is Microsoft shooting two moves ahead toward some POSSIBLE future state that also slows down deployment TODAY.  I have a solid and reliable deployment model w/ an existing .NET development team (of which I am a part).  I can turn the crank on that and deploy applications w/ full processes integrated into DevOps and planned deployments.  To return to my earlier analogy, I have a fleet of trucks and drivers at my disposal.

I PERSONALLY don't need to solve for highly reliable and scalable solutions immediately, because

• that need is not as large as one might think
  • we already have solutions in place 

I wouldn't dare tell my team to abandon .NET and to start using these tools instead.  What they do works and while it is slow, it is reliable.

But those kind of projects take a great deal of meetings/planning to even justify work starting.  Lots of meetings to talk about whether or not we, as the kings of technology, will allow these business peasants to acquire our expertise.  They must justify their need for our time, because our time is limited.  This creates a barrier through which many projects never pass. Again, to return to my analogy, the business user just needs to drive to work.

So, after a request is denied by these slow formal processes, what happens to the need that caused the original request to be made?  Did it disappear?  Did the business go back and say "aww shucks, you're right, we didn't really plan that out well, we'll think about it for the next year while we continue to suffer through X"?  No, they hired a vendor, they built it themselves in some 3rd party tool, or (far too often) in Excel.  Shadow IT is born.

Changing the delivery model to enable immediate delivery solves for X and gives these kinds of requests a path through which they can easily pass.  When we throw up the barriers of traditional development and tie it to those same concerns, we enable the same bad behavior.

Low/No code is the promise that we can take on Shadow IT head-on.  I would much rather be having a conversation w/ someone who built out an application for 10k simultaneous PowerApps users trying to query a SharePoint list than to be having a conversation with an outside vendor to see if/where their code is, what it was written in, how in the world we'll support that, etc.  By enabling less-bad behavior, we solve for Shadow-IT and can build the processes to actively encourage better behavior (approaching good even) over time.

And the "personal comment" wasn't one, I was stating that I was reflecting on my own internal reaction for when I perceive someone is in denial of facts.  Others can follow along the path toward Microsoft's preferred destination.  Making a choice different from me doesn't make you wrong.  But if you are basing that choice upon denying factual information, then that's where the discussion is less about the content and more about your selective perception of the evidence before you.  Denying that Microsoft has a clear path paved toward the Dataflex Pro/CDS data store and is actively marketing it at all points along the way as a revenue stream is denying reality.

None of us have been arguing that everybody should use CDS for all apps. My suggestion was to have at least one full licensed user and one CDS environment so you can run the COE starter kit. It would be rediculous to suggest that CDS should be used for every app (nobody is) just like it would be rediculous -to say that everything should be written on Excel and Sharepoint. Fit for purpose and use the right tool for the job.

It is all in your perspective--if you think the value of your apps is low, then CDS is expensive. If your apps are more critical, compared to using bigger more expensive applications like Dynamics or Salesforce on an enterprise platform for $10/user is a bargain.

As to your scenario about blood sugar. That is a really good example. Seriously that is an amazing use case. Agree you don't have time to do a big design before building that scenario if you need it quickly.

But that doesn't mean that's the permanent solution for the issue. The building is on fire, we need to put the fire out. But once the fire is out it's important to think about the long term solution and ensure that it will scale. The Band-aid isn't always the best permanent solution

@jlindstrom And that's kind of where we're talking past each other.  I don't begrudge the usage of the CDS where justified.  I don't specifically begrudge the costs of the COE starter kit for a handful of CDS-enabled licenses.  What I started the point around was that Microsoft does all of these things built upon the CDS when it isn't required.  As is the case of the COE Starter Kit.

They're greasing the pole very actively and obviously.  As someone who is very aware of this, it actively slows adoption for our organization, because all of leadership is afraid of if/when the bill will arrive w/o a clearly attributable benefit.  I must constantly convince people to adopt the platform, while also actively trying to stop them from adopting it in the way Microsoft is pitching it.

You are saying that you don't need scalability because you have a staff of .net developers so you are not using the platform for those solutions. That's fine, but not everybody has that. Nobody is taking away the tools you have now or saying that you have to use CDS. Just because you don't want to use the platform for that, doesn't mean other people don't. 

I don't get why you are so offended by CDS, if you don't need it. To flourish this platform needs to be viable for more mission critical apps and low code apps.

but cds is central to the COE> You need a database to store your app entity, etc, as well as the more enterprise grade governance components. Where would you store that stuff?

@jlindstrom Yes, the blood sugar one is but one of many that occurred during this period.  Many others remain.

Primarily, my point was that Microsoft's version of using data models to build out apps fits more w/ supplanting traditional development workstreams vs. accommodating these kinds of small applications and/or emergency applications.  What I've adapted around is to allow a progressive deployment that doesn't force restrictive assumptions at the start.  There is no doubt that other applications required enhancement (e.g. a Nurse skills-gathering and volunteer submittal for accepting deployment in Covid-related care areas which rolled out to 8k nurses in the span of a week) and ultimately a better data store.  But in these scenarios it still allows for immediately deployment while the data side of things matures as the needs escalate.  

Many of the policies/restrictions around traditional development are to protect developers (a scarce resource).  When we lower the bar for who can be "a developer" on these kinds of platforms, those assumptions change.

@jlindstrom Per COE data storage, as I stated, we're a .NET development team.  They (and I) find it fairly annoying that we cannot (for free) plug PowerApps into web services hosted in Azure and/or Azure SQL data stores that they are maintaining for other projects.  This is already a path they are following to write Microsoft checks, why suddenly pay to access something we're already paying for in some other way?  Why the unique licensing model for an organization who already bought into the ecosystem?

I understand Microsoft's reasoning here.  I recognize that they want to pitch this to orgs w/o formalized Dev teams/processes.  By lowering the bar for staffing (and subsequent costs of said staff), they want their cut of the savings.  

If the COE kit included spinning up a data model within an existing Azure SQL instance and no licensing hit beyond usage, then my team would just enable that tomorrow w/o pushback.  It would be an easy sales pitch. 

Even though that would likely wind up more expensive than the per-user licensing for what we'd do at that scale.  It is more that it is an identical model/method to what they use for other data storage solutions across the enterprise.  

But the licensing requirements to use power apps with azure sql are the same as cds. I don’t get your point. Storage capacity? But the storage capacity required for coe starter kit are small and would fit within your base allotment. So what is the point? You can’t use azure sql with office seeded power apps. 

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd. at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3rd, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!       Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪🌠

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!    Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (5,924)