cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghdunn
Level: Powered On

Cant follow process for creating solutions

The community have provided me with a great answer to my search for a development best practice :

Power Apps Development Process 

Which led me to this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/common-data-service/introduction-solutions

However the guidance in that reference seems out of date:

---------------------------------------------------------

Create a solution publisher and solution

To create a solution publisher and a solution you need to navigate to the Common Data Service Customization area.

From powerapps.com

1. Select the Waffle icon at the top left corner
  2. In the fly out, select All apps.
  3. Look for the Common Data Service - custom app. You may want to click the ellipses (...) and choose Pin this app so it will be easier to navigate to next time.
  4. Click the Common Data Service - custom app app and select it.
  5. Navigate to Settings > Customization > Customizations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't find Common Data Service - custom app.

The comments at the bottom of that doucument offer a workaround, namely:

-------------------------------------------------------

Instead, I used the "Solutions" menu item on the left nav of PowerApps.com, and then "Advanced Customizations" from the upper-left "gear" icon menu, then that menu's "Publishers" Item. I have the new/modern theme on in PA.com (i.e. top menu offers "Switch to classic."

-----------------------------------------------------------

HOWEVER, I can't use that work around as I don't see an upper left 'gear' icon, and the upper right gear icon I can see doesn't have an Advanced Customizations option.

Should I be able to see the Common Data Service - custom app and if so, how would I get to it?

I can see a Common Data Service - Default App.

Thanks

Ged

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HSheild
Level 10

Re: Cant follow process for creating solutions

Hi @ghdunn,

You don't need to worry about finding the Common Data Service - custom app.  Going to Solution's through this app was an old way of getting to Solutions.  No need anymore.

But for completeness, you said that you found an app called "Common Data Service - Default App".  This is probably the app that the instructions are talking about.  In my environment the app is called "Dynamics 365 - custom" (see screenshot below) so looks like everyone's is slightly different depending on how the tenant is set up and/or licensed.   The only thing special about this app is that it is a pre-built Model Driven App which allows you to get to the Advanced Settings area to access Solutions - however this is the old Solutions UI and you are better off accessing Solutions through make.powerapps.com as I put in the previous post.

Annotation 2020-01-17 074435.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
HSheild
Level 10

Re: Cant

Wow, the instructions at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/common-data-service/introduction-solutions are so far out of date it is not funny.  No wonder you are having problems.

If you want to create a new Solution and Publisher the process is now a lot easier!

1. Go to https://make.powerapps.com
  2. Make sure you have the right environment selected (at the top right)
  3. Navigate to Solutions in the navigation menu and click New Solution
  4. As part of process of creating a new Solution you will get the chance to create a Publisher at the same time

Annotation 2020-01-16 133647.png

ghdunn

Thats great @HSheild ...many thanks...

However, I am still confused about the reference to "Common Data Service - custom app." 

Is that an object that should be there by default?  If so I am not seeing it.  Or is it made completely irrelevant/redundant by the process you outline below?

Gerald

HSheild
Level 10

Hi @ghdunn,

You don't need to worry about finding the Common Data Service - custom app.  Going to Solution's through this app was an old way of getting to Solutions.  No need anymore.

But for completeness, you said that you found an app called "Common Data Service - Default App".  This is probably the app that the instructions are talking about.  In my environment the app is called "Dynamics 365 - custom" (see screenshot below) so looks like everyone's is slightly different depending on how the tenant is set up and/or licensed.   The only thing special about this app is that it is a pre-built Model Driven App which allows you to get to the Advanced Settings area to access Solutions - however this is the old Solutions UI and you are better off accessing Solutions through make.powerapps.com as I put in the previous post.

Annotation 2020-01-17 074435.png

View solution in original post

ghdunn

@HSheild 

fantastic...super thorough explanation...completely comfortable now.

The pace of change across the platform is very exciting, but difficult for the novice to bridge the gap between platform and documentation!

Thanks once again!

Ged

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Users online (6,823)