cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lcaputo
Frequent Visitor

Canvas App: Do users need to be added to an environment if my canvas app data source is Dataverse?

I created a canvas app that is connected to the Dataverse. The canvas app lives in a sandbox environment right now.

I noticed that the users I want to share my canvas app with are not users in the sandbox environment. Do they need to be?

I can still see the users within the list when I click "share" on my canvas app and search for them. Do they only need a power apps license to be able to view/interact with the app? I know that I can select security roles for the users when I click "share" within the canvas app, but I am curious if they still need to be users in that target environment in order to view the data within the canvas app once they access it.

If anyone can clarify what permissions need to be granted, it would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HSheild
Super User
Super User

Hi @lcaputo 

If you want to share a Canvas app connected to Dataverse with users then they will need...

1. A Power Apps license - either a Power Apps per User license or consume a Power Apps per App license.
  2. Access to the environment - make sure they are member of the Security Group for the environment, if there is one applied
  3. Access to the data within Dataverse through assigned Security Roles
  4. The Canvas app shared with the user

There is a great tool to help you troubleshoot access to the environment and Dataverse data which can be found in the Power Platform Admin Centre Troubleshoot common user access issues for Dataverse environments - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HSheild
Super User
Super User

Hi @lcaputo 

If you want to share a Canvas app connected to Dataverse with users then they will need...

1. A Power Apps license - either a Power Apps per User license or consume a Power Apps per App license.
  2. Access to the environment - make sure they are member of the Security Group for the environment, if there is one applied
  3. Access to the data within Dataverse through assigned Security Roles
  4. The Canvas app shared with the user

There is a great tool to help you troubleshoot access to the environment and Dataverse data which can be found in the Power Platform Admin Centre Troubleshoot common user access issues for Dataverse environments - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,876)