cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Remzo86
Frequent Visitor

Custom Connector - Make available in DLP

Hi.

I was wondering if anybody had any information on Custom Connectors and DLP.
As of now, I am able to get some Custom Connectors to be available in an Environment by adding it to a new DLP that is just created for the Environment in question. But, I`m struggeling with some Custom Connectors as they do not show up as an option when I set up a new DLP.

I know that when a new Custom Connector is imported to an Environment, it needs to be shared with the organization. Problem is that even though the Custom Connector is shared with the organization, I still don`t get it as an option in the DLP. Are there any other requirements for a Custom Connector to make it visible in the DLP?

The DLP that I create is an Environment DLP just for the Environment that contains the Custom Connector.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

The "Note" you put in about the display of icons for Custom Connectors got me thinking. What if all Custom Connectors need to be in the Personal Productivity (Default environment) and the environments that you want to use them in for this to work?
Well, turns out that this is excactly what you need to do when you are not able to use PowerShell.

I have just tested this out, and it works. The Custom Connector needs to be in the default environment and the environment that you want to use it in. You need to create a DLP that is an environment DLP, not a Org (tenant) DLP, add the environment to the DLP and you will be able to move the Custom Connectors between "Business", "Non-Business" and "Blocked".

Life always find a way.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
iAm_ManCat
Super User
Super User

For custom connectors, I was under the impression you had to add it via PowerShell to each specific DLP and that DLP can only be for a single environment. Also that environment can't currently be part of a tenant-level dlp, so you have to create one specifically for it and include what you would for the tenant-level as well as your custom connectors

Data loss prevention policies - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Hi.
Thanks for the reply, but there is no need to use PowerShell to add Custom Connectors, well, at least it was no need, now I`m not so sure due to the issues that I`m facing.

I have also noticed that the DLP editor that is part of the CoE kit, now has a Custom Connector option:

Remzo86_0-1619504438507.png

This option is only available for Environment DLP, and only shows Custom Connectors that have been uploaded to the Environment and shared with the organization.

The biggest issue with having to use PowerShell to add Custom Connectors is that I`m not able to do so in the tenant that I am working in as I do not have Admin rights for anything other then the Power Platform.

Yes, the PowerShell commandlets need you to be Global Administrator I think.

Looking at one of the blogs from the Power Platform team it seems that custom connectors must be added using either powershell or flow template, couldnt find any further documentation that explains a better way to do this.

It also mentions that custom connector will only show up with their actual icon and displayname in the default environment:

"Note: Only Custom Connectors stored in a tenant’s default environment will be displayed with its given icon and display name in the policy editor. All other custom connectors will be displayed with the default connector icon and their internal name."

link here to blog post: Introducing HTTP and Custom Connector Support for Data Loss Prevention Policies | Power Automate Blo...

You can also look at this post by Kent Weare which re-iterates what I said about having to add the connectors to the policy using PowerShell: Managing Custom Connectors in Data Loss Prevention Policies (serverlessnotes.com)

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

The "Note" you put in about the display of icons for Custom Connectors got me thinking. What if all Custom Connectors need to be in the Personal Productivity (Default environment) and the environments that you want to use them in for this to work?
Well, turns out that this is excactly what you need to do when you are not able to use PowerShell.

I have just tested this out, and it works. The Custom Connector needs to be in the default environment and the environment that you want to use it in. You need to create a DLP that is an environment DLP, not a Org (tenant) DLP, add the environment to the DLP and you will be able to move the Custom Connectors between "Business", "Non-Business" and "Blocked".

Life always find a way.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (3,078)