cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenDonahue
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Does M365 E5 License Grant Access to the Dataverse Premium Connector?

Does M365 E5 license allow access to Dataverse tables?

Believing that the M365 E5 license did not grant access to Dataverse tables, we have purchased several app passes to allow this.

After running our apps for several weeks, our Global Admin says that MS is reporting that 0 of our purchased app passes have been assigned.

The confusing facts:

- the app passes have been assigned to the environment,

- the apps in that environment use Dataverse connectors,

- users are currently able to use the apps and CRUD the data

I would love a definitive and current answer on this.

Thank you for your assistance.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Unless you are using Dataverse for Teams, instead of the full Dataverse, you need more than an M365 E5.  If you are using Dataverse for Teams inside the Teams environment that is covered by the Teams license.  But full Dataverse is a Premium connector and requires a Premium per app or per user license.

1. Make sure users haven't signed up for a per user Trial license.  That would keep the per app licenses from being assigned until the trial expires.
  2. The reports could be wrong of the admin isn't looking in the right place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

I've seen the Common Data Service for Teams_P3 license.  That's the one that covers Dataverse for Teams.  The  Common Data Service - O365 P3 license is the one that comes with M365 E5.  But that only covers the spots where MS uses the Common Data Service internally, like approvals.  Here's the entry that covers Power Apps usage in Office 365 (M365) licensing.  You can see that Datverse and premium connectors are not covered.

image.png

I believe its an issue with the reporting on how many per app licenses are being consumed. The reporting on per app licenses isn't that good and there are some anomalies.  Normally we see them the other way, where a per app license isn't assigned correctly and the user gets prompted to start a trial. You could open a support ticket with MS to get it resolved.  But if you are using regular Dataverse custom tables in your app you are required to have either per app or per user licensing for each user.

7 REPLIES 7
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Unless you are using Dataverse for Teams, instead of the full Dataverse, you need more than an M365 E5.  If you are using Dataverse for Teams inside the Teams environment that is covered by the Teams license.  But full Dataverse is a Premium connector and requires a Premium per app or per user license.

1. Make sure users haven't signed up for a per user Trial license.  That would keep the per app licenses from being assigned until the trial expires.
  2. The reports could be wrong of the admin isn't looking in the right place.

Thank you, @Pstork1. That is a complete and concise answer, and I really appreciate it.

Very curious; most of my users have their trial expired by now, and are still able to access the Dataverse.

A Global Admin report produced the following data:

BenDonahue_2-1631113145341.png

To my untrained eye, it looks like we are getting Dataverse access by virtue of the "Common Data Service - O365 P3" service, which every user has, in addition to "Common Data Service for Teams_P3."

Would you, please, comment on this, @Pstork1 ?

I've seen the Common Data Service for Teams_P3 license.  That's the one that covers Dataverse for Teams.  The  Common Data Service - O365 P3 license is the one that comes with M365 E5.  But that only covers the spots where MS uses the Common Data Service internally, like approvals.  Here's the entry that covers Power Apps usage in Office 365 (M365) licensing.  You can see that Datverse and premium connectors are not covered.

image.png

Then, for the life of me, I can't figure our how anyone is able to use my apps and CRUD the data in the custom tables in the Dataverse; it's bewildering.

If you have further input on this, I would love to hear it, as, from my point of view, it doesn't add up (1 plus 1 equals pi, somehow).

Thank you for all your help, @Pstork1.

I believe its an issue with the reporting on how many per app licenses are being consumed. The reporting on per app licenses isn't that good and there are some anomalies.  Normally we see them the other way, where a per app license isn't assigned correctly and the user gets prompted to start a trial. You could open a support ticket with MS to get it resolved.  But if you are using regular Dataverse custom tables in your app you are required to have either per app or per user licensing for each user.

BenDonahue
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

I nominate, "The reporting on per app licenses isn't that good,": as the understatement of the, um, month?

Thank you, yet again, P; your help is always valuable to the point of being invaluable.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (1,287)