cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
staceylaney
Level: Powered On

Enabling PowerApps from Trial License

We have some confusion in our organization about licensing/enabling PowerApps and need some guidance.

Here's the scenario: Our corporate office IT manages our Azure/Office 365/SharePoint Online environment, and I'm  setup as a Site Collector for my region's SharePoint Online.  Our O365 is on Plan 2, so we have access to multiple apps, including Flow and PowerApps.  I've been using InfoPath for online forms published to SharePoint Online, with Flow running for request automation.  I need to create new online forms, but since InfoPath is being phased out, I decided to give PowerApps a try using a Trial license because that was the only option at the time.  Now I've created a few new test forms and can see that PowerApps will work, and have requested our corporate IT staff to enable PowerApps fully so that I don't need the trial (which will expire) and enable for our users so they can even see the form (they cannot without requesting a trial also). 

Our corporate IT is saying that it will take time because they have to setup PowerApps Admin Center with governance around environments and data sources, etc.  I know that PowerApps Admin Center is there, but I'm wondering if that level of admin is even needed, especially since Flow is already working for us, likely via the regular O365 Admin Center, since IT has never used the Power Platform Admin Center.  Wouldn't it be as easy as them enabling the PowerApps app itself at O365 Admin Center like Flow is?

I hope that makes sense.  I don't have access to any of the Admin Centers so I don't want to assume, but everything that I've read leads to enabling at the user level OR via the Power Platform Admin.

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Enabling PowerApps from Trial License

On the one hand they are right that setting up PowerApps to provide appropriate licensing and data loss protection takes time and planning.  But it uses the same exact settings as Flow.  So other than figuring out what they may want to change specifically for PowerApps, that won't negatively impact Flow, there really isn't anything to do.  Since they do share the same settings its going to be tough to make changes that are specific to PowerApps.

Up until recently there was a Flow admin center and a PowerApps admin center, but any change made in one made the same change in the other.  They were literally two web front ends with different color schemes that changed one set of controls.  They both still exist, but there is now a new Power Platform center that provides administration of both PowerApps and Flow. The new admin center is already there and doesn't need any new configuration.

Most of what is in the new Power Platform admin center is designed to support the new licensing announced Oct. 1.  I would be surprised if your organization had purchased PowerApps Plan 2 licenses (now per User licenses) for every user.  Getting a handle on that is probably much bigger of a task.  By the way, there is no Office 365 Plan 2 license.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,882)