cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
HSheild
Level 8

Environment Maker security role not working?

I have a tenant with 2 environments - one is the Default environment (with a CDS database) and the other a Production Dynamics 365 environment.  I have noticed that when administering security from https://admin.powerapps.com the security is now directed through Dynamics 365 security roles instead of the Environment Admin and Environment Maker environment roles.  The environment roles do not appear for the Default and Production Dynamics 365 environments.

When I access the security roles I can turn off the Environment Maker user role.  However the user is still able to create PowerApps and Flows within those environments.  Is this the expected behaviour?  It goes against the description of the user role in the documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/administrator/database-security#predefined-security-roles...

See the attached screenshot for an example of the security role configuration

2 REPLIES 2
PowerApps Staff jo
PowerApps Staff

Re: Environment Maker security role not working?

RE "The environment roles do not appear for the Default and Production Dynamics 365 environments."

They should be.  Can you share the environment IDs for the environments where you are seeing this behavior to jamesol@microsoft.com?  NOTE: Environment Admin == System Adminstrator, more information here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/administrator/database-security#predefined-security-roles.

RE "When I access the security roles I can turn off the Environment Maker user role. "

If you are trying to remove 'Environment Maker' privileges for the user in the Default environment, please note that this cannot be removed.  If this is within an production environment this should not be the case, unless they also have System Administrator privileges. 

HSheild
Level 8

Re: Environment Maker security role not working?

Hi James,

Thanks for your response.

RE "The environment roles do not appear for the Default and Production Dynamics 365 environments."

I have done some more investigation on this and have found that a PowerApps environment without a CDS instance has a different security screen to a PowerApps environment with CDS.  Please see the two attachments.  My Default environment and Dynamics 365 both have a CDS instance and I can only update security through the  Dynamics 365 user management center.  Removing the Environment Maker role in the  Dynamics 365 user management center for my Dynamics 365 environment only seems to remove the ability for a user to create Model-driven apps.  They can still create canvas apps and Flows etc.

Thanks for your help.  I will send you my environment IDs via email.

Regards

Hamish

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Users Online
Currently online: 120 members 5,182 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: