cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenF19
Level: Powered On

Forcing App Updates

Hello,

Am I missing something or is there no way to force app updates? We've got users who haven't updated their powerapps version in over 2 months and it's been a huge issue trying to teach some of our not tech-savvy users how to completely close out of Powerapps, reopen our app, and hit the update banner. We're now receiving incomplete data because apps are out of date.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I feel like we're missing something because this should be pretty basic functionality.

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Forcing App Updates

Hi @StevenF19 ,

What devices that your users are using? Mobile or tablet with iOS or Andriod os? I think forcing updating should be the setting from os side. 

For example, below link is about how to enable automatic App updates on iPhone and iPad:

http://osxdaily.com/2018/06/12/how-enable-automatic-app-updates-ios/

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SDC

You can do this with a Flow. I do not know your specifics, so I can not tell you exactly how to create the Flow, but with a combination of the PowerApps for Admin connector and the PowerApps for App Makers connector you can read in all the apps within an environment, check the last published date and then publish again if the date is not within a given range. 

Keep in mind that this does come with some risk. While it is good practice to keep the apps published at least every 6 months to make sure that you are running the app on the latest builds (since only so many historic builds are supported or available), you should always test these apps in another environment to make sure that none of the features you are using are deprecated - thus breaking the app.

StevenF19

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding as to what my issue is. The actual version of Powerapps is not the problem, the issue is that some users are not getting updated to the latest version of my developed app. So if I make some changes and publish them, some users aren't getting updated to the new version for some reason. For example, I removed a column from one of our forms in our Powerapp 2 months ago but users are still submitting rows to Sharepoint with values in that column.

SDC

If they are running it from the Web and not offline, then they would always be running the latest published version.

StevenF19

They're running it from the iPad app.

SDC

So what you are asking is if there is a way to manage the device (iPad) to ensure that the locally linstalled PowerApp client is up to date? That sounds like a function of Intune.

@StevenF19 wrote:

They're running it from the iPad app.

StevenF19

@SDC It's not the powerapps application that isn't updating, it's our powerapps within the powerapp application that we built not updating.

SDC

This is something that I have never experienced. If you are updating the app and not creating a copy of the app, then they should always be launching the latest version. Maybe someone else has experienced this, but I have not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Users Online
Currently online: 144 members 5,420 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: