Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KoenJanssensPD
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to get data accross environments

Hi,

I have two environments in the same tenant, and I want to share Dataverse tables between them. How should I do this?

I have been looking at the (preview) "Virtual Connectors", but I don't get it working with dataverse...

I have already created a dataflow that duplicates data from one environment into the other, but that seems overkill since that duplicates the data in both dataverses...

Or is it impossible and I should not have two separate environments to begin with? Should I try to merge them into one?

Thanks for your help.
Koen

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @KoenJanssensPD,

This is not an uncommon scenario, and there's a lot of factors to consider when deciding between separating environments, like dependencies between solutions, security, criticality, etc. 

Using Virtual Tables is one viable option. You'll need to handle the Dataverse Web API OAuth authentication yourself in the Plugin code since the current virtual providers / virtual connectors don't yet provide this out of box just yet, but hopefully they will eventually.

The other option is replicating the data as you mention, either with Dataflows, Power Automate, Logic Apps, or Azure Data Factory. Each has their pros/cons depending on how many tables, volume of data, and the relationships.

Sorry if there is no clear answer, neither solution is wrong, one will just be better than the other depending on your scenario.

Hope this helps. 

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Hi @ChrisPiasecki , thank you for your time to answer.

You basically explained what I was "afraid" for, that it is a common use case, but no common answer 🙂

I will stick with two separate environments, one Dataverse environment that handles rapidly changing data, and one Dynamics Sales environment that takes aggregate data at regular intervals from the first one...

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,211)