cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMu
Level: Powered On

How to grant access to environment in the new maker portal (make.powerapps.com)

Hi,

I run into issues when trying to give users an access to the environment in the make.powerapps.com.

I believe that I should add the user role "Environment Maker" to these users, but that didn't do anything on the first attempt. I spend some time playing around and figured out that if the user is in the root business unit then he/she gets the access to maker portal. But if the user is in the child business unit then the access is not granted. 

I'd like to breed some new beginer citizen developers. I can't assign them to the root business unit. They could to do the customization from the "classic side" but why teach them something that is/will be deprecated in near future.

If you want to try this note that there seems to be some delay when the user priviledges are changed and visible in the maker portal.

So does any one know if there is way to grant access to customize the environment without moving user to the root business unit?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JMu

Re: How to grant access to environment in the new maker portal (make.powerapps.com)

It turned out that the current behaviour is by design and it is required that the users are in the root business unit if they need access to the organization in the modern customization experience.

I posted an idea about having a new role that would work with child business units to grant limited access to the modern customization experience.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Access-to-the-new-maker-experience-for-users-in-...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to grant access to environment in the new maker portal (make.powerapps.com)

Hi @JMu ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to assign "Environment Maker" role of your Environment to these users who are in Child Business Unit?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. We could assign a "Environment Marker" role of a Environment to a user in a Child Business Unit.

The screenshot as below:1.JPG

2.JPG

Please check if you have defined a proper Child Business Unit in your org. More details about customizing a Child Business Unit, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/create-edit-business-units#create-a-new-busine...

Please also make sure you have owned "System Administrator" role for your account. More details about configuring Environment role security, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/database-security

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
JMu

I can add the role but then the access to the environment in make.powerapps.com is revoked.

So I have these roles with the user in the sub business unit

User Roles.png

The user cannot access the enviromnent in make.powerapps.com ("CRM Test" is not the environment in question)

makerportal.png

After I move the user to the root BU and assign the same roles the environment is accesible

makerPortalwithAccess.png

I don't know if this is related but as you see I have localised version of the enviroment. The base language is Finnish. For some reason the "Environment maker" role is displayed in englis in the root BU and other BUs but it is in Finnish in some environments. Howeverm, the behaviour is the same in all sub business units.

infinnish.png

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @JMu ,

Do you mean that the user who is in Child Business Unit could not see the corresponding Environment instance within his PowerApps?

Which type is the Environment? Production or Trial?

I have made a test on my side (Production Environment), and don't have the issue that you mentioned. If you want to get further help in this issue, please consider submit an assisted support ticket through the following link:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JMu

Yes the user in the Child Business Unit does can't see the enviroment. I have tried this in production and sand box environments.

I'll try to reproduce this in another tenant and then open a support ticket.

Thanks.

JMu

I was able to reproduce the issue in demo tenant as well. And I have now created a support issue. I will follow up with the resolution here.

Here is a step by step reproduction info

1. I logged in as the admin to the powerapps admin portal
  2. I created new enviroment, with database (base language: Engilsh, currency: EUR)
  3. I created new business unit to the enviroment
  4. I moved a "test user" to the new business unit
  5.  I assigned "test user" following rights
    • Environment Maker
    • System Customizer
    • CDS User
  6. Waited for 20 minutes
  7. Logged into make.powerapps.com as "test user"
  8. Could not change to the new environment
  9. Logged in again as admin
  10. Moved the "test user" to root business unit.
  11. Assigned the same roles as above
  12. Waited for 20 minutes
  13. Logged in as "test user" to make.powerapps.com
  14. The environment was accesible

Finally moved the user back to the child business unit, assigner roles and waited awhile => The user lost access to the enviroment in the maker portal.

JMu

It turned out that the current behaviour is by design and it is required that the users are in the root business unit if they need access to the organization in the modern customization experience.

I posted an idea about having a new role that would work with child business units to grant limited access to the modern customization experience.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Access-to-the-new-maker-experience-for-users-in-...

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Users Online
Currently online: 389 members 6,511 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: