cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fcavelti

How to make cloud flow dataverse connection act as / impersonate the canvas app user that triggered the flow?

What I did, as user A:

1. New Powerapps environment with dataverse DB, within the new environment...
  2. New solution, within the new solution...
  3. New Dataverse table
  4. New Canvas App with a button wired to...
  5. New Cloud Flow, creation triggered from within the canvas app editor. Cloud flow uses PowerApps (V2) trigger and has only one dataverse Add a new row action, which inserts a record into the table created above
  6. Published the entire solution (still same env)
  7. Successfully tested if I could insert through the canvas app's button, which in turn only calls the cloud flow.
  8. Shared the app with user B

Ran the canvas app as user B, hit the same button:

• Cloud flow runs successfully
  • New record is properly inserted

However, the record's created by columns shows User A (instead of user B). I would need User B to show as record creator.

Is my expectation wrong and this is just not possible with Powerapp triggered cloud flows, or am I missing something?

Also, I found this encouraging post Power Automate impersonation, but it didn't provide any specific solution that I could apply.

2 REPLIES 2
melamri
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @fcavelti , 

This is a known issue, and you have done it correctly. Indeed, you will need to change the connection used to "provided by run-only user". Currently, saving this configuration is not possible, you can test it on your environment. Indeed the value will automatically return to the connection of the flow owner.

melamri_1-1653388523212.png

Fortunately, Microsoft has announced the support of connections for the Dataverse connector during wave 1 2022, and normally this feature will be supported during the current month: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2022wave1/power-automate/use-connection...

Hi @melamri - thank you for confirming the issues I stumbled on.

I'm surprised the community didn't seem to have a big issue with this behavior, honestly. But definitely looking forward to MS' release with the new feature. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (2,886)