cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SP2019Admin
Helper II
Helper II

Is there any Document templates for PowerApps development?

Power Platform is my first cloud development project. In traditional development projects, I can save code in Git and label all the changes in documentation. Also I can write my script to automate the deployment process. Usually I will write simple document to tell operators how to work with it. Also it helps my teammate understand my work.  

It is quite different for cloud platform like Power Platform.  I checked there are some nice guide line from MS about planning: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/guidance/planning/introduction

However, how should I document the procedure/steps to Make, Test and Deploy? Do you have any tips or template you can share? 

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Take a look at this site on Power Platform Application Lifecycle Managment (ALM).  I would start with the ALM Basics page.  It has some information on using multiple environments and Source Code.

Application lifecycle management (ALM) with Microsoft Power Platform - Power Platform | Microsoft Do...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

I don't quite understand the part "Source control process using a solution". PowerApps, as a low-code solution, there is almost no code in the source file. The files I exported from a canvas app are msapp file, json and png, we cannot know the code logic. Although I can add the files to source control but it is quite meaningless.

Could you share the experience to handle them?

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Take a look at this section from the website I linked to on the previous reply.

Overview of tools and apps used with application lifecycle management (ALM) in Microsoft Power Platf...

Although Power Apps is a low code solution the power app itself, consists of text representations of all the objects using YAML, JSON, and Base64 encoded PNGs etc.  There are automated ways to store all that information in Github as a record of the different versions of the app as it is being developed.  Using Azure DevOps that repository can be used to apply or roll back changes from a project. So keeping copies of the files in Github is far from meaningless.  The introduction of PowerFX also makes it possible to dig inside the MSapp file and directly edit the functions and formulas used in the app. ALM is an area where MS is actively pushing the boundaries of how Power Apps is used by a more professional development staff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,256)