cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thannan
Regular Visitor

Leverage Power BI Gateway Connections in Power Apps?

We have been using an on-premise data gateway for Power BI and I see that I can utilize the same gateway for Power Apps. Can I utilize the same connections in the gateway though? For example, in the Power BI "manage gateways", I have a connection to the XYZ SQL database. Can I use that same connection in Power Apps or do I have to set it up a second time in Power Apps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Per MS, this is currently not possible. The connections created in PowerApps can be used in Power Automate, but they will not work with Power BI and vice-versa.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yes, the on premise data gateway connection that power bi uses is the same on premise data gateway that powWe apps uses. So if you add a sql connection to your power app or power automate flow, you can select any on premise data gateways that your user has access to.

note that sql and on prem data gateway are premium connectors and cannot be used with just an office license. You need a full license for power apps. Also works with a dynamics 365 license

if this answers your question please mark as a solution

Right, I understand that I can use the same gateway. I am asking how I can use the same connection. So here is an example: I have this connection to the SQL DB "Audit" set up in Power BI gateway. I already see that I can use the "Dedicated Prod Gateway" cluster in Power Apps to set up this connection again. But I don't want to set it up again - I want to just re-use the one below that I already set up in Power BI (rather than setting up the same connections over and over again on the same gateway cluster across Power Platform components). Can I do that?

thannan_1-1594729570304.png

Yes when you create an app and you select the on premise gateway option in the sql connector, the connector will let you pick existing on premise gateways associated with the user which you are logging in as

See #6 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install

it will tell you if it is ready for both power apps and power bi on the setup screen

Yes, in Power Apps I can see the Gateway, but where are my individual Connections from the Gateway that I previously set up in Power BI? Here is a screenshot - as previously mentioned, I can use the "Dedicated Prod Gateway" that I use for Power BI, but then it prompts me to fill in server, username, etc. Where is my connection to the SQL database from Power BI? (the one called "SQL Database - PROD" from the screenshot in my previous post). Do I have to recreate the same connection again here in Power Apps? And do I have to recreate it in every environment/app that I plan to use it in? That is my question.

thannan_0-1594804590308.png

Per MS, this is currently not possible. The connections created in PowerApps can be used in Power Automate, but they will not work with Power BI and vice-versa.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (918)